In Runtime
just wondering how many watts im gonna need to run

Amd 64 3000
abit av8 3rd eye
leadtek winfast a6600GT
Dvd drive
dvd burner
leadtek winfast tv2000 xp rm

also, if i only need 400 watts, will i damage it if i use a 500 watt supply, im assumin i would, but i want a case, and it comes with a 500watt psu, i cant get it with a 400watt, or without one

2 hard drives, thanx for the links, can i turn a 500 watt supply down in the bios or something?

that's dumb

you always should have more than enough watts

also, watts doesn't matter on a psu; the brand and ratings @ 12V matters (i.e. a 350W seasonic is better than an ultra 500W or a rosewill 500W)

a thermaltake silent purepower 480W should do

oh ok thanx
i'd use a 420, but i mayaswell use the 500w as it will come with the case

Sorry, didn't read your post carefully enough. It comes with a PSU you say? Well, just b/c it's higher rated it shouldn't "damage" your computer. I am using a 450 W power supply (generic brand) on one of my old computers (Pentium III). That thing probably draws like only 200 W max :-\..

The thing with generic PSUs (like the one in ur case) is that they are not very good quality. The darn thing could surge and fry your components and such. They don't not very "safe". I'd go with a good brand like Antec, Thermaltake, OCZ, Enermax, etc.

One of my friends fried his whole system recently b/c of a crappy PSU. I suggest that you either get a different case without a PSU and save some money - or get a good nice case with great cooling and NOT save some money :) OR just throw the crappy PSU away and get a good brand.

diabloII said:

also, watts doesn't matter on a psu; the brand and ratings @ 12V matters (i.e. a 350W seasonic is better than an ultra 500W or a rosewill 500W)

a thermaltake silent purepower 480W should do

Well both of them matter. I guess knowing the current on the 12 V rail gives u the Wattage of the 12 V rail since the voltage is err. obviously 12 V :).. But, that doesn't tell u the overall picture in terms of Wattage of PSU.. It just tells u the max Wattage of the 12 V rail (current x 12 V).

The Thermaltake 420W or 480 W should both be good choices. I'd go with the 420W since it is cheaper and u really don't need 480 W. If u have enough $$ u can go with the 480 W. More Power great and everything. But costs more $$.

Just to let u know, I am going to be building a new 3000+, 6600 GT system soon. And I'll be getting a OCZ Modstream 520 W - max 620 W PSU. b/c I'll be upgrading over the next little while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom