hyperthreading - setting it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakta

In Runtime
You all know by now my pc doesnt run as fast as it should due to a probable manufacture error - multiplier for my p4 2.8ghz is fixed too low.

So I think, lets compromise. I take my mobo to the limit by overclocking the fsb from 533 to just under 800. This gives me approx 2.4ghz of my 2.8ghz. Now I want to hyperthread to help squeeze more juice out of her.

Problem is, i did a little homework because i was totally new to HT and it stated to turn it on in bios, then reinstall windowsXP for the changes to take effect and for it to recognise a second cpu (logical not physical). Thats fine. I had a few spywarte problems and took advantage of the situation to reformat my pc. After reformatting I turn Hyperthreading on then restart and install xp.

So why does it still after reinstallation not pick up hyperthreading? According to my user manual for my motherboard, when I open task manager it should show 2 cpu graphs - nope. I know my processor and mobo support HT so what could be going on?

Im half wondering if my 2.8ghz chip is knackered. never been much of a supporter of Intel chips.

hyperthreading doesn't necessarily give better performance anyway
because hyperthreading acts as a dual CPU, and most programs are not optimised to take advantage of dual CPU's, it can actually be slower sometimes

after you reinstalled XP, did you reinstall the drivers for everything?

yeah because i reformatted hard drive i had to to get video gfx, lan (wireless and non wired) etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom