RAM is RAM is RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elbatrop, thanks for the link. It tells me everything I need to know. Are Bus speeds for the RAM something I need to pay attention to when "matching up" like you suggest?

You dont need to worry about that stuff when buying RAM. All you need to know is the type your mobo supports (in this case, it is SD) and how much it supports as to not overload it with more ram than it can handle.

Your making this far more difficult for yourself than it needs to be. RAM is as easy as getting the correct type and popping it in.

If the computer you would be working on uses DDR RAM, and used the frequency of 132.9MHz, the RAM's speed would be PC2100

"RAM is as easy as getting the correct type and popping it in."

That's what I had thought. But the more I read, I found more aspects of RAM. I would think the info from CPUZ is for RAM optimization. I'm just looking for a little upgrade. Anyway, I'll be shopping tonight. Thanks for all the tips, guys.

Yeah ram is an easy upgrade

I really do suggest buying online, you save a bundle and stores like newegg.com are reliable

If your using DDR SD RAM, get the cheapest PC3200 ram, it doesnt matter if you are using 2700 or 2100 though, 3200 is backwards compatable and just as cheap. Their's no point of getting a stick less than 512 meg as well as a few more dolalrs gets you 512.

Also if you buy 3200 (same price) and a 512 meg stick, if you ever upgrade your PC (you have a dell, stick around here and you will) or buy a new one you can stick it in a new PC most likely as well as the possibility of your ram running in Dual channel, which doubbles memory speed

Yeah there is alot to RAM, but only if you need it. All that information is for advanced users, OC'ers and such. But for someone who just wants more RAM and needs to know what to do, it is as easy as finding the type and popping it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom