Oc'ing n00b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
So, recently I've decided that I need to try my hand at OC'ing. Specs are in my sig. Can I do some things with that? Granted, not much of it is really hardcore, but i think moves can still be made. I have the Thermaltake Aquarius 2 liquid cooler, but it's not that good. It really only made my cpu cooler by less than 5 degrees F. But it only cost me $20, so I cant be too mad. What is the best cooling setup in peoples opinion? Aside from phase cooling, since not many people I know, including myself, have the money for that. I want to get some serious speeds out of my system. I read about a guy who had his 3 ghz OC'ed at something like 7.1... 7.1!!!! Grantd, he was using phase cooling, but still...

I need something like that. So I've decided to try myt hand at OCing. I have some rather crappy computers laying around the house that i'm probably going to test OCing first, so if I fry something I wont be too upset. Any suggestions? All would be welcome.

youll hit 3ghz on your cpu
wouldnt oc the gfx card though not strong enough
granted i know that we have the same gfx cores but the ultra really adds performance also i dont kno your gfx card speeds you ay be able to coax some extra mhz out of it

My card is 256MB, dosent that make it an ultra?

Do you think I could make it any higher with some crazy cooling setup? Something custom, perhaps. Maybe rip the AC unit from an old car and build it into my case. I would prolly need a server case just for the AC system, but it would be worth it.

nope just a marketing gimic ultra's have higher clock speeds stock mine runs at 400/800 and im running it at 450/900 all they did was slap in an extra 128mb or ram

wouldnt advise you to do that maybe duct from outside in the winter have a bunch of 120mm fans in the tube and run it into your case

aspire.comptech said:
nope just a marketing gimic ultra's have higher clock speeds stock mine runs at 400/800 and im running it at 450/900 all they did was slap in an extra 128mb or ram

So I was the sucker and bought it thinking that the extra 128mb would make a huge diff than, huh? That sucks.

pretty much... most games today olny need 128m of memory however i believe doom 3 is the only card that only ever uses more

Yet Doom 3 runs SO BAD on my computer. I know it is my video card holding me bak, but still. It shouldnt run as choppy as it does. Henceforth my needd for OCing. Doom 3 was the REASON I upgraded to p4. I didnt want there to be something out there that I couldnt run. But, apparently there is alot. That is rather depressing.

my words of advice to you save up some money and upgrade to an amd athlon 64 3200 with a 6600gt
im gonna be working alot over the summer and at the end i hope to build
water cooled lian case
3200+
74 gig sata 10k drive
abit fatality socket 939
6800ultra
and ya gonna be so awesome cant wait

I dont know how I feel about the 64. Right now, I feel it is a waste since there is not much out there than can take full advantage of the 64 bit processing. And Windows 64 bit is VERY hard to find.

I'm working all summer too, going to be making some seriously good cash, but I'm going back to school in September so I need to save mad cash up. I'm going to do some minor upgrades, but nothing major. Upgrade my mobo, MAYBE the processor. Cash is tight, thats what I'm getting at.

Notice the crappy motherboard. Fricken small computer shops. Has anyone ever noticed how small computer shops usually go with crappy mobo's across the board? I worked at two... Jetway was at one, and ASRock at the other. Both are very bad companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom