Growing a Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol yeah I know that's ridiculous, was just sayin cause you said you wanted to get that other 20gb back which would have meant the full 160gb, but yeaaah whatever, was just pointing out something I now know you already knew :p

Isn't there some deal with XP and not recognizing drives beyond a certain amount until you update it or some jazz like that? lol very vague I know, but I seem to remember people with like 200gb only having them seen as 128 or something and it's because they needed a particular update within windows

160*.93=148.8

The .93 is found by dividing the actual size of a gigabyte by the manufacturer's size. The larger the advertised size the farther from the actual size it is.

I seem to remember there being a class action lawsuit against the big manufacturers (Maxtor, Western Digital) for false advertizing. You know, not giving people their entire hdd. I think when i installed windows, being the tech that I am I just clicked through (just like most all of you guys do when you install windows) and missed it. I think it said something about not being to catch the whole drive, and can only give me 134gb. Hmmm...... This goes against one of my last posts. Friggen Windows.

Him, my advice is that if you don't have anything vital on that drive, just do a full reformat and be done with it. It's not worth going through buying partition magic or messing around, if you don't have anything to lose. You got the easiest solution out there. Most people with this problem usually have tons of important stuff already on the drive, which complicates things.

my 160 only shows about 134 and i know i got all the space used on that, lol

Thats the way it is.

oh and a gb in hd terms these days means 1000mb but windows still works proper and looks at it as 1024mb so you see less there.. plus the removaleage of space due to partition information etc.

The true drive size for a 160 drive, factory, is about 156GB. Partitioning information is not over a gigabyte. Improperly partitioned drives and/or bad sectors can cause a shortage smaller than the technical capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom