5.1 in Gaming Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grego

In Runtime
I'm trying to decide which speakers to get for my move to college. For a while I was set on the 2.1 Klipsch GMX A-21. Now, I'm leaning back towards the Logitech Z-5500. I plan on gaming and watching DVDs with my rig. I think I could do w/o 5.1 w/o much stress on DVDs.

However, I'm wondering how advantageous 5.1 is to gaming. Is there really that big of a difference in games? How does it compare to 2.1? I've never gamed on 5.1 before.

There's a BIG difference but you need a game that actually utilizes the technology. If not you can buy soundcards which can simulate surround sound like Creative and their CMSS tech. But play HL2 and listen to the positional audio it sounds much more realistic like when you turn your back while someone is talking to you and you will hear him from behind. THINK ABOUT THAT. If you play CS thats an advantageous right there although if you have surround earphones those work good too. For movies, its self-explanatory. OF COURSE it is better to have 5.1 than 2.1 especially if you treat your PC like your home theatre. The 5500 also has DTS and Dolby decoders so you're set where as like a Logitech Z-640 doesn't and you need to buy a soundcard with those decoders to use DTS and Dolby tech. If you have a soundcard that can simulate surround sound you can also listen to your mp3s and CDs like that. The z5500 is damn good too.

Oh yeah dude, the logitech z-5500 are nasty. I wish I could afford those. But true surround sound makes a big difference no matter what you are listening to. In games, you'll be hearing people behind you and stuff. Trust me, once you have it you will never game without it.

Yeah surround will be nice, i need to get surround sound for my gaming, which would bring me up to needing 3 sounds cards (1 for gaming, 1 for 1 in 1 out recording and MIDI, 1 firewire card for multiple recording)

Already I can pinpoint someone with 2d sound though :)

since i've moved from 2.1 to 5.1.....i'll never go back.

the slightest of sounds, like someone sneaking up behind you or cinematic movie like sound explosions...make it a truly stellar gaming experience..it has changed my whole perception of "fun" gaming.

i have the logitech z-5300's and i don't know how i lived without them before.

the 5500's are digital and probably even better.

get a good sound card and enjoy what you've been missing!

5.1 is a definate must! I try to play w/out it at lan parties and such and it is harder. For one you can hear ppl coming up from behind, two you have much more realistic explosions etc. It is definately better w/ surround.

OMG, I have the Logitech 5500-Digital's, and they are SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOD!!!!! You have to get them, I love mine, they are worth the 27,000 penny cost!!

Yan Booth

Don't expect to have any friends in your dorm if you get the 5500's though!

Just turn the sub down to 1/2 if people start to nag you.

Yan

It improved my online ratio from 1/1, to (on average) 3 kills-1 death. And with noobs, way more...

I wouldent get anything under 5.1. I never used a 7.1 before, but creative labs 7.1 system. With 750watts, looks like one nice piece of work. For speakers i like Creative Labs the best, they make sound cards and sound systems. They can do it all rite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom