oem windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

angrykid

Baseband Member
I am going to get an oem copy of windows xp for the computer that I am building. I heard that you now have to call Micro$oft in order to register an oem copy of windows. Does this cost money? Is it a hassle?

thank you,
angrykid :D

I am using an OEM version, no you don't have to call Microsoft. I believe they are referring to the Windows Activation. If you activate so many times or on a different PC with the same copy of Windows then you have to call them.

-GrayWolf

Wayne's right, OEM is just what they send to manufacturer's who build computers, etc. It's the same program.
And yes, anytime you have any slight hardware change - as in a component, not a fan or accessory - Windows want you to reactivate. If you've already activated it once, you'll need to call a number. You give them the number on the screen (voice automated) it directs you to a customer service person in India and they might ask you questions like are you putting this on more than one pc.. etc. Then they'll give you a number, you punch it in and XP's happy.

Just they're way of tightening control on their monopoly.

smileygladhands said:
Wayne's right, OEM is just what they send to manufacturer's who build computers, etc. It's the same program.
And yes, anytime you have any slight hardware change - as in a component, not a fan or accessory - Windows want you to reactivate. If you've already activated it once, you'll need to call a number. You give them the number on the screen (voice automated) it directs you to a customer service person in India and they might ask you questions like are you putting this on more than one pc.. etc. Then they'll give you a number, you punch it in and XP's happy.

Just they're way of tightening control on their monopoly.

I have had to reactivate once after moving my PCI cards around a bit and removing a CD ROM. However in the past I have removed PCI cards and added hardware without an issue. I would love to know what Microsoft considers a significant hardware change.

I have a legit version and I still crack it.

I don't feel like BEGGING microsoft to activate a product that I legally own.

But the only thing about OEM version of XP is that you need to buy ANY piece of hardware with it if you want to buy it off newegg or anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom