Where does a GFX card store it's clock/mem speed settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMajor

PowerQuest / Opera
If you overclock your card using Rivatuner or something similar, where are the settings stored? In the card's BIOS or the driver settings or somewhere else?

within drivers, that's why booting into safemode will make the card run at normal settings. With an nvidia card you can download nibitor, and edit your cards BIOS and change the clock speeds in there and that way it would be determined by BIOS and would run at that speed no matter what computer you put it in, whereas of course with rivatuner and coolbits that card will only run that fast in a computer that has those programs running the higher clock rates

By the way, when the 6800GT gets here, Coolbits would be the recommended overclocking software right? I just want to go from the 350/1000 stock speeds to Ultra speeds, nothing excessive.

I use rivatuner although coolbits would be fine too. Rivatuner is just more advanced as far as settings go....either way it's raising 3d modes core and memory that's the same and all, but I like rivatuners hardware monitor and things like that.

I got mine running driver based 400/1100 right now, Ultra settings according to eVGA although I have seen some cards run 425/1100 that are ultras. Last time I tried my memory maxed out at 1175, but it's had a lot of time to burn in now, plus I got some ramsinks so when water cooling comes I'm hoping for like 450/1200 that'd be nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom