Venice at newegg!

Status
Not open for further replies.
some of that is Intel's gambling and AMD's gambling on things,AMD gambled on the 64 bit market, and on the socket A platform when Intel wouldnt, it could have been real real bad for AMD, instead it turned out very well for them, the old adage "build it and they will come" seems to work !!
That's an excellent point, there's a few big gambles I can think of that turned the tides. First, was the 90nm process of both companies. AMDs turned out to be a suprising success reducing vcore and heat dissipation, whereas the Intel 90nm did exactly the opposite, and ran them right into a frequency brick wall.

The huge gamble AMD took was not 64 bit processing in my opinion as they're processors were still 32 bit capable, and good 32 bit processors at that, but their Hypertransport bus which builds the memory controller into the chip, making it hard for them to switch memory interfaces or other big changes (one of the reasons they're not on DDR2 yet). I guess Intel saw that as a weakness and tried to push DDR2 on the market when it was still overpriced, and I couldn't be happier for AMD to sticking to DDR1, and still want them to skip DDR2 altogether.

They advertise, but nothing compared to Intel is my point. You won't see a commercial with FEATURING AMD 3500+ PROCESSOR WITH HTT TECHNOLOGY YEAH!!!

I believe they had even advertised with lance armstrong, but yeah they are more subtle about it was my main point

I want them to skip DDR2 as well, and the rambus incident with Intel blew up in their face bigtime, I think Intel got over confident and thought they could dictate what memory tech would take hold, and rambus flopped, that cost them dearly.Seems Intel is trying to use DDR2 but I dont understand why, DDR3 is coming soon, they will get screwed and caught flat footed yet again when AMD jumps on DDR3 with the second generation dual cores and 3rd or 4th generation single cores.

I think AMD's roadmap is better than Intel's right now, its more realistic, they realize single core is about dead,or will be soon, console game boxes will be multicore very soon and software for them will ramp up, leading to games for multicore PC's, and the memory bandwidth even with DDR1 is fine, theyve got a ways to go before DDR3 will be needed, AMD memory bandwidth is kicking butt, the old rule of thumb is CPU clockspeed is good from 2:1 up to about 7:1 vs memory clockspeed, so theyve got some room here for awhile yet, Intel is still playing catchup with memory bandwidth, someone better tell them DDR2 isnt gonna help them, even I can see that, their chip architecture wont deal with it well enough to help much.

Nubius said:
They advertise, but nothing compared to Intel is my point. You won't see a commercial with FEATURING AMD 3500+ PROCESSOR WITH HTT TECHNOLOGY YEAH!!!

I believe they had even advertised with lance armstrong, but yeah they are more subtle about it was my main point

Your right about the subtlety, I dont think Ive ever seen an AMD TV ad.About the only little commercials Ive seen are other copmanies that mention they use AMD but its usually very quick, more likely to see that black and green AMD logo on a race car or hat sometimes.

Intel really need to just give up on DDR2, now. Why do you think all the video cards skipped right over GDDR2 and went straight to GDDR3. They all saw the flaw of high latency, low bandwidth and high voltage in GDDR3, and that pattern has repeated itself with DDR2. It seems as though DDR3 will correct these problems as did GDDR3.

I've never seen AMD advertised anywhere apart from a computer hardware store. =/

Gaara - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59405&page=1

You gotta check that out. That's the official venice OC'ing thread. There's also the san diego thread too in that same AMD section.

3200+ venice is what I'm looking to get, theres a dude on there hitting 3Ghz on air! Using an Xp120

Oh man dude, I'm definitely getting a 3200+ venice, with that DFI board, god I hope they release it soon, with water cooling!!

3GHz!! :drool: Oh man I hope I can get 3GHz and if I could get 250MHz 1:1 I'd be soooo happy, but honestly I think these patriots will hit 275 if I give them good enough lovin ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom