*windows has ecountered a problem*

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1c3_808

In Runtime
when im moving files or just browsing through folders i get the "windows explorer has encountered a problem" and then windows explorer shuts down for no reason. I think i get this only happends when i open the folder containing theses .avi videos i have. This started happening 5 minutes ago and never happend before. I try to watch the avi videos and then windows media player got that error too and shut down. Dont tell me to delete those because ive waiting a week of downloading to get them, and it worked perfectly fine before.

i might just reformat already.

Reformatting should be a last resort. Although it removes the problem it doesn't actually solve the problem as in identifying it so it can happen again and again.

Anyways those avi files are probably corrupted. I have encountered some of those. Try a different player like Classic Media Player.

In the end I had to delete my avis because it hogged up my laptop HD and I couldn't transfer it to my other PC because moving the file would do exactly what yours are doing now.

what!! how did it corrupted when all i was doing is watching it? it wasnt like this before . well i tried playing it in powerDVD and that shut down too. is there some sort of avi fixer? becuz i really dont want to delete those.

r1c3_808 said:
what!! how did it corrupted when all i was doing is watching it? it wasnt like this before . well i tried playing it in powerDVD and that shut down too. is there some sort of avi fixer? becuz i really dont want to delete those.

I doubt you corrupted it. They are downloaded files right? The person who burnt them burnt them corrupted.

For example, there is a T3 Xvid file out there that causes this same problem. It's a corrupted rip.

if it was corrupted shouldnt i not be able to watch it in the first place? i watched all the videos like 3 times. ive had these files for about a month and only now its doing it. And not all the files are corrupted. What i mean is that i have all 26 episodes of Samaurai Champloo, and only some display errors when i try to play them.

these arent illegally copied from a dvd either. theyre free fansubs that are available through bittorrent. but i downloaded them from limewire since bittorrent is slow as hell. so i dont think theyre corrupted?

They happened to me too. It worked for while but then got corrupted. I doubt it was on my end. Once I tried to move them they suddenly became like that. Who knows maybe it was me. In the end, I decided to delete them. Just burn them on a DVD if you have a DVD burner and try the files on a different PC. For me the avis had conflicts on both my PCs when playing. Sometimes I had to try opening them 10-15 times before they worked. I don't really know what to say because I didn't really solve my problem. I just deleted them. But I don't recommend reformatting. That should always be a last resort.

the only reason i considered reformatting is becuz i wanted to start fresh again. But since ive never reformatted before and i dont want to reinstall all the drivers and stuff im having second thoughts.
If the file itself is corrupted it wont make a difference if i reformated anyway right?

You running XP? If you run the repair utility, and reinstall Explorer,that may worek. Usually does. If not, then there is most likely a problem with the files. They may have been corrupted during download, may by a virus that had a brief stint on your machine, a million different reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom