Venice at newegg!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they include SSE3 instructions and the san diegos are 1mb L2 cache...dual cores will be called Toledo

You know, its been pretty cool watching AMD kick Intels azz lately.I remember when I got a K6-2 500 for half what my P2 450 cost me, then bought an athlon not long after that for about the same price, the small cache size on the AMD's sucked, glad to se they are making them bigger again, that combined with the better memory bandwidth vs the Intel chips I really dont see how Intel can compete anymore.rumor has it that IBM is about to step in and make things interesting, I dont think they can hang with AMD on pricing vs performance, but they may do major harm to Intel, time will tell.

this new san diego sounds like its definitely worth waiting for.

Horndude - I find it amazing that AMD can have awesome performing CPU's at a low cost considering they don't even advertise anywhere close to what Intel does

Intel probably could've competed evenly with AMD prices if they lowered them back during the Athlon/P3 saga. The Athlon was running circles around the P3 and even P4 at the time and for wayyyy less, but since they were even less exposed (that was actually when I first heard of AMD and got myself an Athlon 900+ I think), so Intel just kept riding the high price train since AMD was basically non-existant to most at the time and Intel could pretty well market their cores at whatever price and people would think it's the only option in town.

I don't even think Intel could lower their prices now with the massive Prescott flop and it's failure to even break 4GHz, let alone the expected 5...

AMD does advertise, just in different markets and places, theyve targeted race teams, bike race teams, the aerospace industry, and alot of markets that arent TV related, so to the average person wont see "AMD INSIDE" or AMD on TV much if at all, and they havent gotten the orders from major players like Dell as of yet either, I think theyve had offers, but Im guessing they didnt like the terms.I figure Dell has probably approached AMD several times, and I bet Dell wanted HUGE discounts, and AMD being small AND smart said NO, I dont blame them, thats smart business.Dell knocked at their door again recently, and so far AMD is sticking to their policy, if you want AMD, you pay, just like anyone else.

You will find AMD in alot of critical places where high performance computing is key, the space ship one design by rutan that flew last year was done with AMD PC's, the USPS postal bike race team and Trek bikes used AMD equipment for testing and product development, they have a very very devoted following outside the gaming market.

Intel reminds me of general motors, very slow moving,very very big, and vulnerable to slick,well managed companies like AMD.AMD has had its share of bloody noses, their memory production division just took a huge loss, I think they dumped it altogether.Its smart business to find a niche in the market where there's no competition, thats what AMD has done to a degree, theyve gone where Intel cant, and now,well for the last 3 years, have been beating Intel in alot of areas, but some of that is Intel's gambling and AMD's gambling on things,AMD gambled on the 64 bit market, and on the socket A platform when Intel wouldnt, it could have been real real bad for AMD, instead it turned out very well for them, the old adage "build it and they will come" seems to work !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom