How do I adjust RAM speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
an AMD64 3000+ stock processor speed is 1.8GHz, multi of 9 was correct the first time. The 3200+ is 2GHz.........but the multis are locked on the regulard AMD64's except for lowering it, so I don't know how it would even work for you when raising the multi to 10.......you're positive it didn't default back down to 9 when you set it at 10 and it's actually still working at 1.8GHz?

If it's running 2GHz then you've got it OC'd

lol it's running at 2.0Ghz although i did notice my performance isn't smooth. it is working though. i just don't understand why it was 2.01ghz without being overclocked with the 1.02 bios. btw, i ordered the platinum revs today! woohoo!

no, previously it was at 220x4=880MHz and it wouldn't boot. i instantly lowered the 220 to 200 and raised the 4x to 9x.

Nubius said:
yeah you can get the CPU up to 250, but not with your stock multiplier.....on a good OC'ing mobo you COULD technically raise the RAM seperate from the CPU but that'd be pointless, you'd just be creating a system bottleneck.

Lower your CPU's multi, then raise the FSB by increments of 5MHz.......so 205...then 210..each time booting into windows. Then run prime95 and let it run for 5 mins.....if it doesn't error then boost it up another 5 MHz......keep doing that until prime95 fails quickly at which time I'll need to boost your voltages.

I'd let that ram burn in in your system for about a week though before you start overclocking. Give it time to heat up and want to OC.

stock for that ram will be 2-2-2-5 at 2.6v

What is your current voltage max? Lets assume it's 2.8.....change your timings to 2.5-3-3-7 and raise your voltage to 2.8, this will assure you have lots of headroom to OC that RAM and you can raise the FSB and basically check on your CPU.

Once you get to like 225MHz and your CPU and RAM are running 1:1 run prime95 for +12 hours with the large in place FFT's mode, this will test the CPU primarly.

Run memtest86+ for a few hours letting it loop, if that doesn't error your RAM is good to go.

Then play an intensive game for a couple hours and that'll basically really seal the deal your system is stable

one question about that underlined part....can i just start at 2.8v and 2.5-3-3-7 or do i have to start from the very beginning in 5Mhz increments. if i already know that i'll have to change the stuff to 2.5-3-3-7, why not do it at the beginning? is it because the RAM has to overclock slowly?

is 220 overclocking the fsb though? i thought its default was 200
Well yeah, if 200 is stock and it's raised beyond that, that'd be considered OC'ing.

one question about that underlined part....can i just start at 2.8v and 2.5-3-3-7 or do i have to start from the very beginning in 5Mhz increments.
That underlined part says nothing of the frequency, the frequency is what you move in 5MHz increments, you always start at stock speeds and move up from that, but I'm saying bump the voltage up to 2.8 and timings at 2.5-3-3-7 then start moving it up 5MHz at a time and chances are with the OCZ you can hit 235-250MHz or so before you'd need more voltage or looser timings (shouldn't need looser timings though)

In all honesty I don't know what you're asking "can I start from the beginning"

bump the voltage and loosen the timings before you start overclocking, that's what I suggested...then from there raise the frequency slowly

oh i get it now. i thought you meant start bumping the fsb frequency up, then after i reach the limit of stability to bump voltage and adjust timings. i had them flip-flopped. my bad.

500+ MHz you say?.. No way man. That's just nuts. Are u thinking "500 MHz" in terms of effective "clock rate"?

Frikkin DDR. I don't know what kindda nutjob started this convention. So retarded. The guy who came up this "effective rate" crap needs to be stoned :-\..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom