SATA and MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi.Im.New

In Runtime
ok so i want to make my new sata hd the primary and my older IDE the slave.... i enabled the sata primary controller...now at this point ive been reading that i press f6 when i boot from my xp disk and install drivers...but thats where im stuck...what drivers?

You only need to do that if you are using an IDE controller or a raid card. You need to set in the BIOS that you want to use mixed mode (SATA and IDE). Just set your IDE to master, plug it into the ide channel, and plug in your sata drive. Then just install Windows like normal.

what do u mean mixed mode...for boot options i dont have sata as an option which i thought was weird... and i have the sata as main and ide as slave cause i wanna boot off of the sata...im using a sata controller for sata obv and regular ide for the ide drive...

If you go into your advanced chipset options, under IDE and SATA, you can change it from IDE only, SATA only, or mixed mode IDE. You dont have to worry about jumper settings with SATA.

yea i got it working now....you dont know how much of a relief this is ... i really appreciate it thnx

Ok so now i have the sata set up and everything ... but how do i make it so it automatically boots from the sata hard drive and doesnt ask me to choose which hd to boot from... i dont have the ide drive on as a boot ... i have cd(1), floppy(2) and scsi(3) ... also every other time i turn on the comp it checks for a primary channel and just sits there until i restart it... how do i fix that?

Be a little more specific. Where does it hang? What do you mean it asks you which hard drive to boot from? Do you have the SATA plugged into the right port? You dont have to worry about jumpers, but like anything else on a mobo, you have to plug it into the right spot. It will br labeled Sata 0 or sata 1. Check for both.

well i have sata in the primary controller and i have the IDE in as primary also since they do use different channels. Yea i fixed the problem by just editing the boot.ini file, wasnt thinking. I thought though if i didnt have the IDE in boot up then it wouldnt ask me to boot up that HD.....guess i was wrong.

Glad you got it working. You may nor have been thinking, but you will never make that mistake again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom