Second Monitor and burn in

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
If I get a new video card, I will likely set up my 15 inch CRT as a second monitor. However, I will not be using it nearly all the time (in fact probably rarely), and a very concerend about burn in. I know I can simply turn the thing off when not using it, but I would like to have things like winamp running on it, so I need to have it on. Can I tell windows to turn off the monitor/engage a screen saver seperatly from my main?
Preferably, I want windows/my video drivers to do it, and not some small utility (I have a phobia about lots of random stuff running on my comp and degrading performance), but if there is one that seems to work well, I'd like to hear about it.

nope, your second monitor is seen as an extended desktop.

you could always run a visulization in winamp! although at full screen this will only run on your primary monitor.

Unfortunate. LOL winamp viualizations take up a lot of CPU time. I am planning on running this monitor all the time, even while gaming, so that's not an option :)
I did manage to find something called ultramon, but it looks rather obese for what I need and it costs $40US.

EDIT: Should I really be that concerend about this? How long does it take a (oldish) monitor to burn in? Around 6 hours isn't it?

digitaloracle said:
Unfortunate. LOL winamp viualizations take up a lot of CPU time. I am planning on running this monitor all the time, even while gaming, so that's not an option :)
I did manage to find something called ultramon, but it looks rather obese for what I need and it costs $40US.

EDIT: Should I really be that concerend about this? How long does it take a (oldish) monitor to burn in? Around 6 hours isn't it?

Only if the image is a static image, with some kind of pronounced lines or shapes to it.

There is not going to be a lot going on on this monitor. 99% of the time, it will be displaying winamp and my desktop background (a detailed image). I am sometimes at my computer for many hours at a time, but for now let's assume I am there 24/7 and the screensaver NEVER comes on and that monitor is displaying the above items 24/7, with the only changes being the song info on the winamp bar. What special considerations do I need to make?

You dont need to worry about burn in anymore. That was with old monitors. As technology evolved, the burn in problem left. Newer monitors you dont need to worry about that at all.

I say just turn the brightness right down very low to minimise any burn effects.

Him, it was made in mid-1998. Is that new enough? The thing is not sheilded very well, if that is any hint of it's sophistication.

Yeah, thats fine. Burn in really ended when monochrome ended. Burn in is nothign that anyone has to worry about anymore, unless your monitor is from the eighties.

mind if i ask.. then why do we have screen savers? (im not trying to be ignorant or sarcastic sorry, it does sound that way) i dont think burn in is a problem though i am wondering why... ppl just like them i guess.. :)
i dont see a reason itd be like that anymore so i wouldn't worry bout it.. just as HIM said technology is advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom