boot-up problem (emm386)

Status
Not open for further replies.

epin

Beta member
I'm using P2 400Mhz, 64mb sdram.
After upgrading my ram, my computer reboots after the win98 screen appeared. i changed back to my old ram but it still keep rebooting... after that, this message appear,

emm386 has detected error #?1 in an application at memory address FF3C:43AC. To minimise the chance of data loss, emm386 has halted your computer. For more info, pls consult your documentation.
To restart your computer, press ENTER.

I dont know what this ? represents, it's like highlighted letter or number... I pressed enter but there's no response. Is my ram spoilt? please help....

No, the RAM should be fine. I have had this happen to a couple of clients a year ago or so when using 98. Are you certain that you tried to load Windows98 with the original RAM in place and nothing else? Try rebooting several times. I know that this is tedious...but still worth a shot. Also try booting into Safe Mode and then shut down/restart properly. If that doesn't work then try this:

Have you installed any other hardware recently (besides the RAM)? If so, then let me know before you perform the steps below:

When booting 98, hit F8 once per second to get into a boot menu. When you get into this boot menu, you are going to want to choose "Safe Mode with Command Prompt only". Right away you will be prompted with a "C:\" command line. Type "scanreg /restore" (without the quotes of course) and hit enter. You will be prompted with a few options here. First, let me explain, that every day that your Win98 PC boots, it will save your registry information. It saves it on the first successful boot each new day. What you are doing is resorting back to a "good" configuration. That being said, choose one of the first couple choices, but make sure that the date within the choice isn't too long ago. (Don't know how many days you go in between booting your PC). So, just choose the second or third choice and then answer "yes" if the system asks you to confim. The system will then restore your registry information back to this date's config and reboot. After the reboot, you should be fine.

-Michael

Yes, i've tried to load win 98 with the original ram in place and tried countless times. I had not installed any other hardware besides the ram.
I performed the steps given, but after that, the screen Microsoft Registry Checker appear but blank...

please help....
someone suggested that I should insert windows CD and boot from the CD and fix windows installation. But my com doesn't detect the cd even though i've changed my boot sequence....

I'm using hp pavilion 6409 computer...
sorry... but i don't know what config. sys is, and where can i see it...
you have solution to this?.... any help will be appreciated....

There is the Problem!!!

Its a bloody Pavillion!!

I told you guys that HP has a secret agenda,,,but NOoooo!

cheers,

is there anything bad about it?....
is there any solution to this boot problem?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom