Newbie Memory Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
My friend has a Asus P4S8X mobo with an open ram slot and wants to pop in another 512MB. He doesn't want to spend a lot and is looking at this Ram.
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820223009
Looking in his MOBO book it says it uses DDR DIMM 184pin ram chips. Supporting up to PC2700. (The book is old and outdated)
My questions, will the above Ram work on his MOBO, are DDR and SDRAM the same? And will the MOBO support the higher speed PC3200 ram? Any help is appreciated.
-Raphael

^^^^^^^^
He's Wrong

It will work, but the RAM will only run at PC2700 speed. There is no sense spending the extra money. PC3200 will work, but you will get the same performance if you buy the PC2700 version and you will save money.

Also, Rosewill sucks. I would recommend this for you:
Corsair ValueSelect 512MB DDR PC2700

Correct, any 184pin DDR SDRAM will work in any 184pin DDR SDRAM DIMM slot. The speed does is not a factor, the faster RAM will be downclocked to the speed of the slowest RAM, or the limit of the motherboard/CPU FSB.

Both of the above are right

But you can easily get good value ram at PC3200 speeds for cheap, like under 50$

Theirs nothing wrong with rosewill ram, sure some may have problems, but the money you save is worth it

I dont know man, the amount of moeny you will save may not be worth the headaches. With a 512mb stick, no matter the company, there is only going ot be a 10-15 dollar difference. Corsair Value select is great, as is Kingston and Crucial, among many others. With something like memory, I would prolly spend the extra few bucks for the good brand.

TwinMOS has 1gb for $99 at newegg last time I checked. It can overclock like beasts too if you put enough voltage through it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom