System will not start after installing 2nd HDD, IDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakenoble

Beta member
Hi all.

Yesterday I managed to install a secind HDD as a slave on my system using IDE. It took me a while to do as the system would start to start up every time I put the power cable back in then it would shut itself off after about 2 seconds.

Eventually I got it working, booted windows, changed bio boot order and everything was OK for the day, even when I shutdown and restarted my system.

Got up this morning, pressed Power On, and nothing happened, taken my new HDD out, Power On, nothing happened, left it a bit and it worked, but it could not find my old HDD, the one I boot from, it was trying to boot from my USB Zip Drive, so I have taken that out. When it booted that time it said it has shutdown due to CPU overheating, which I think is not possible as I had only turned my system on 2 mins earlier and all the sides were off. I wondered if it is a PSU problem but it all worked fine yesterday, and even when I take the new HDD out now, it still won't work!

Anyone shed some light on this random behaviour?

Jake

running with no sides on CPU temp is 44 deg C,
running with sides on and with my case fans on (I have 2 case fans) temp is 59 deg C, which even i know is too high by far!

I managed to get into the BIOS this time by dis connecting both HDDs AND MY DVD drive, i only had my floppy conneced.

i am starting to think that its the PSU, if i just have the floppy connected it starts fine, as soon as i connect a HDD it starts, then stops 2 seconds later.
Thougts?

Why don't you remove the 2nd hard drive to see if it will work fine. It sounds like the 2nd drive is draining your power. May not be compatible with your original hard drive. You can also try disconnecting your original drive and see if it works fine with the new hard drive.

What is hte power supply on your computer? Can you list all of the components and periphrials?

I have semi sorted the problem now, when ever i turned the pc on with my old hdd in it crashed, or turned itself off nearly straight away.

WIth the new hdd in, it ran fine, so there is something wrong with my old hdd which is now about a year old, its going back to seagate asap.

Jake

Crashed when? When loading windows? Probably just your windows installation is giving you errors.

I recommend booting to the XP CD and using the Automated System Recovery to see if that helps your windows installation. - Or if it isn't a problem, do a clean install. I doubt your HD if dead.

-> Alex

Since you're not installing Windows on that drive (you said yer old one was your primary) then a Windows installation has nothing to do with it (not sure why that came up, but whatever).

Check your jumpers on the drives. Make sure yer old drive is set as "Master" and your new one is set as "Slave."

Also, make sure you have a power-supply that has plenty of power for your system. Sounds exactly like an overloaded system to me. Either that, or your mobo HDD controller is having a shytfit with the new drive.

What PSU should I have for, a p4 3ghz, 1.5gb ram, 2 ide hdd, 1 dvd rom, 1 floppy, 1 usb zip, geforce 4, sound card and 2 system fans?

Its not my windows install, as my PC shuts down 2 seconds after I turn it on, I have sort of solved this problem, by not using my old HDD. AS it always crashes when I use it, even though it never used to a couple of hours ago! i took my old HDD to my mates PC and it was fine.

I am going to try it again in mine, I will post again to let u know what happens.

Finally, how and what is the best way of fitting 2 HDD to a pc, or should i just scrap 2 40gb and get an 80gb?

Jake

You might want to try a differnt IDE cable..... Or try BOTH HDD's on your friends system.... It could just be the IDE cable shorting something and forcing a shutdown....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom