Check disk at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

idiotec

Fully Optimized
I got in my case to do some cable management and during the process unplugged and replugged in my sata drives. Now, durring Windows startup it does check disk on the secondary drive everytime. It passes and the disk works properly, but it is annoying. Any ideas on how to stop this? What do you think causes this?

read all replies from this discussion: http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=95866&messageID=1086464

I assume Bob may have linked you to instructions on how to suppress chkdsk on bootup/restart- or maybe Ed O'Daniels's solution did the same. Anyway, I had same problem on bootup on partition H, a partition on my 80 gig slave. I booted into safe-mode (probably should have booted into command prompt, but I was in Safe-Mode already), opened up a command prompt window by typing cmd in the RUN box, then ENTER. Then at the prompt, I typed:

H: chkdsk /f /r . I hope I have the syntax correct; hopefully, Bob or someone else will correct me if I have it wrong. Anyway, the /f and /r switches- to the best of my recollection from my dos days, was to find and repair bad sectors on my partition H. Poof, the problem went away (prepare for a long scan if you have a slow system.) Strangely, there was no report of anything wrong, but the problem went away. Hope this is of some help.

-----------------------------------------------
Conclusion
After command the /f /r in window than retsart, it takes the chhdsk....
It took quite a long time and stayed at 4%.... I can't wait longer & pressed the soft button to reboot, it solved the problem.

Thanks again for everybody!!

Thanks for the reply. I got to the part and ran chkdsk /f /r and it said something about drive in use do you want to "dismount" the drive, all handles to drive will be invalid. I said no and stopped the process. What does that mean?

idiotec if everything else fails reinstall your OS. dismounting a drive means it will be made unavailable, I am pretty sure it doesn't destroy data. I have no experience with this problem personally so I wouldn't know what to advise you other than a reinstall. It is most likely an operating system problem. this check disk problem occurs frequently with windows98 and millenium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom