problem that is driving me nuts, and i need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

omega77

Solid State Member
ctrl+alt+delete doesn't pop up task manager! but something else! wtf?

Problem: for some reason, ctrl+alt+delete does not give me the usual task manager and such, but only gives me one of the screens that is under task manager. how do it get the default stuff back?!?! I will included a screen shot of what pops up when I do ctrl+alt+delete.

Warez Monster posted this under the "Tutorial and Tips" subforum.

To reinstall the Microsoft Task Manager:

NOTE: You must be logged on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group in order to perform this procedure.

Click Start , click Run , and then type the following command:
%systemroot%\inf

NOTE : There are no spaces at all in the preceding command line.

Click OK to open the INF folder.
Locate the file mstask.inf
Right-click the file, and then click Install . This will reinstall the files that Search needs to proceed normally.

You will be asked to place your windows XP cd rom in the drive.

Note# I have only tried on XP Pro

If it works, thank Warez! ;)

i saw that, but cannot locate the mstask.inf file, i only found the mstask.pnf file..

it now was the windows xp pro service package 2 disk, where do i find that?!?1

You don't have a Windows XP install disc? If you don't have the disc this won't work as per the original instructions. Borrow one from a friend and try.

okay, youre right the XP disk found the file. installed it... after restarting, same thing, problem not solved..

I'm sorry it didn't work. I don't know what more to suggest other then perhaps trying a system restore. I'd hate to give you the blanket "format and reinstall" answer but unless someone else has any other suggestions that help you, you just might. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom