Win 2K users, take note!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tribalsun

In Runtime
Feel the squeeze ladies and gentleman, feel the squeeze.

Time is Running Out for Win 2K users.

Full, free support for Windows 2000 officially ends on June 30th, 2005. After that deadline, the both client and server versions of Windows 2000 will go into the "extended" support cycle, where they will charge for it.

Last year, Microsoft announced that there would be a security-centered update rollup instead of releasing Service Pack 5. The rollup is going to require Service Pack 4 as a prerequisite. The update is due in mid-2005, but so far there has been no news on its progress.

Under the Microsoft's terms of support, they will only provide security-related patches during the product's extended support cycle. Non-security fixes are only available with a hot-fix agreement plan. Anyone without this service will not have access to these updates.

Windows 2000 is still the operating system of choice for many people and businesses. As this product moves into its extended support cycle, Microsoft is urging customers to migrate to Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

lol, nice one major. i don't worry, i have never used microsoft support for anything. the only support i've contacted is for AOL, and i don't think i need to clarify anything on that one.

I think some people are missing the point. It's not about "phone support" or some such thing. Microsoft is going to stop all support in terms of releasing updated security patches after the "extended support cycle" ends. As far as hot-fixes and such, unless your under Microsoft's "hot-fix agreement plan" which requires a fee based contract you will not have access to those updates at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom