Active Directory 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
I'm setting up a server at my house, Windows 2003. I'm using Active Directory, and having an extremely difficult time setting it up. Connecting computers to it, creating roaming profiles, it's not easy. I set up a server once before, Windows 200 Server, and it was rather easy.

Anyway, someone know where i can find an free online guide to Active Directory in 2003?

Try microsoft technet http://www.microsoft.com/technet/default.mspx

lots of info there^

If you can't join the domain it might be a DNS issue.Install DNS with your Active Directory and assign your server a static IP.Enter the DNS IP in the computer joining the domain.Roaming profiles-create a shared folder on the server(note in 2003 default of the everyone group is read permission only, you will need to change it to full control so the profiles can be changed).In the profiles tab of the user properties type in the path \\servername\sharedfolder\%username% and this will auto populate the profile.When the user first logs in the profile will be created in the shared folder.

Well, the problem with that is I'm using a switch, and it's acting as my DHCP for all the computers. Should I possibly set my server up to handle the DHCP requests?

dude, dhcp on your server isn't too bad..... do you have a router??? How are you set-up, modem - router - switch????

Router, Linksys WPG54S. But if I go through my server with DHCP, I will lose my wireless, right? Or is there I way I can turn off everything in my router except the wireless access?

you can turn off the DHCP part of your router, then set the gateway and router options in your dhcp range to your routers ip address

There should be an option in you router configuration for to enter a DNS to be given out or you can still set a static DNS and have a dynamic IP.Setting up the DHCP on your server would make things easier.

I recommend keeping all your DNS on your router

when you set up the DHCP on the server, point your DNS and ROUTER towards your routers IP address.

I'm work'n with a similar problem, and I'm having a ***** of a time setting up DNS on my server

but I've got a bad setup, I'm using a win server 2k3 with 2 NICs as my dhcp/router/nat box, and I can't get dns working...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom