64 bit computer help

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
Okay, so within the next year or so I want to upgrade to a complete 64 bit machine. My question(s) are: what are the new 64 bit cpu's coming out from intel and amd? When will they be out? Also, is Longhorn 64 bit compatible or should I get Windows 64 bit edition? I know this is a bit far off but any links or references would be great. Thanks alot.

Windows XP 64-bit edition will be out this year while Longhorn won't be out till mid-to-late 2006. So I say it'd be safe to get Windows XP 64-bit. As far as your CPU, any socket 939 AMD 64 should do you well, although if you want the best, go with an Athlon FX-55 or higher. You will probably want a next generation graphics card for Quake 4 also. Anything lower than a 6800 GT is going to have a hard time with that one or so I hear.

Heh and very few people still have a decent card lol.... Anyways i would wait a year or so after the release of x64 before buying it because there will be holes and shit in it as all new products...

Theres never anything wrong with builting a computer at any giving time. Because once that new hardware comes, it will soon be replaced. Its a consistent cycle which cannot be avioded. You'll wait for eternity... Under those terms, why do people even buy computers at any time....?

Before anyone can really suggest anything you might be interested in getting. How much money are you wiling to spend? Along with what will this computer mainly be used for>?

For AMD, any Athlon 64, Athlon 64 FX, Opteron, and I believe some Semprons may be 64 bit compatible(?).

Intel ranges from any Pentium 600 series, Pentium D, or Pentium Xtreme Edition 840.

Windows x64 was released on Monday, I have no idea how much it costs so I would recommend downloading the BETA if you still can.

an Athlon FX-55 or higher
Higher? :D

Gonna have a LONG LONG wait for winblows next release, probably mid 2007 before longhorn is released and its first service pack is released to fix its HUGE problems LOL, should be just in time for dual dual core setups which will leave windows lacking yet again, sorry for the windows bashing, but it has to be said,I know you guys like your wintendo machines, but Id guess sticking with XP for now would probably be a safe bet, at least the drivers are finally getting pretty decent.When full 64 bit drivers are needed it will be 6months to a year for them to be stable and good, something to think about.

gaara said:
For AMD, any Athlon 64, Athlon 64 FX, Opteron, and I believe some Semprons may be 64 bit compatible(?).

Intel ranges from any Pentium 600 series, Pentium D, or Pentium Xtreme Edition 840.

Windows x64 was released on Monday, I have no idea how much it costs so I would recommend downloading the BETA if you still can.

Higher? :D

Yeah I saw a chart that said, "AMD FX-57 & AMD FX-59" will be available in the 3rd Quarter of 2006. There weren't any specs about them though. But, I guess they are in the works. May-be 2.8GHZ & 3.0GHZ? Larger caches may-be? Possible need to take out a new morgage on my house?

I don't think any of the semprons are 64-bit compatiable. Intel didn't do 64-bits...but last time I checked, they were releasing stuff, along with their dual core stuff.
Yes there are holes in everything; I'd especially wait a year for 64-bit windows because the longer you wait, more and more things you buy will have 64-bit versions of software, and of course, the interent security thing.
And Apple's just going to keep pressuring and pressuring Windows to hurry up and release. My guess is that Windows will release Longhorn somewhat on time and then patch it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom