No start bar or icons in WIN XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneazr

Beta member
Ive got win XP SP 2 on my machine and at first it was really slow, i thought i had a virus, i tried to run my virus software but it was saying that a certain component was missing and i had to reinstall, trying to do this was taking forever, so i booted up in safe mode and reinstalled mcafees, whilst i was in safe mode i deleted some crap from my registry and then rebooted. When i rebooted i had no start bar or icons, eventully a message came up that said "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request.Please run microsoft outllook and set it as the defualt mail client ", i hit ok to that and the PC just sits there , have my wallpaper but no start bar or icons. I have booted into safe mode but i have the same problem , if i boot into DOS i can see my directories so my hard drive is still as it was. Any ideas on how to fix this, i dont want to reformat as i have alot of important files on my pc that i cannot afford to lose , any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Im no tech and this will sound really silly but how do i run the reg file, i have no start bar no icons no nothing, even in safe mode i have the same problem

Elbatrop has it
the reason you are not getting your icons is because the program that runs the GUI (explorer.exe) is not starting when you load windows
I'm guessing the fix just puts explorer in startup

i tried what u said guys but when i tried to run explorer.exe i got an error which read " the file does not have a program associated with it for peforming the action. Create an association in the folder options in the control panel

maybe the taskbar is set to "auto-hide" and the desktop is showing no icons.

1. Go to Settings, Control Panel, then Taskbar. Uncheck "auto-hide".
2. Right-click on the desktop, go to "arrange icons by", then click "show desktop icons".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom