ocing amd problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebor

In Runtime
Hey guys, have been reading this forum for awhile and posting about a week now. I was trying to oc my amd a bit more by turning up the multipler. It seems the windows does not like this, I got a blue screen with the error message "initializing confimg error" under that it said windows orotection error you need to restart your computer, under that it said system halted. Any ideas as to what is causing this.

wait, first tell us you OS.. and what your bios readings are multiplier and fsb... mines at 205*11.5
tell us that and we can go from there, first thing that pops into my head though is the voltage, you'll need to "kick it up a notch" to power your chip enough, but i dunno where you're at with your o/c...

My os is windows me. Bios settings are at 133/13.5, voltage is at 1.8. Tried kicking voltage up to 1.9, still got same message as soon as i tried going higher than that. Curious if this is a problem with windows me or if there is another componet that I need to look into.

you're multiplier seems to be too high. you don't want to have a low clock freq and high multiplier, you want to even it out a bit. try 166/11

also, what kind of memory do you have? pc2100, pc2700, pc3200, what? pc2700 is meant to be run at 166 or lower, 2100 is meant to be ran at 133 or lower, and pc3200 is meant to be ran at 200 or lower.

your memory has a big role to play. lets say that you have pc2100 ram (133mhz) and you have a processor with a front side bus of 266 (athlon 1800+) you're ram is going to be running at it's max. so if you overclock your external clock frequency to lets say...166, now you've overclocked your processor and your memory. that's why if you're oging to be overclocking you want to make sure you have good memory.

I realize all that, but everytime I turn up the fsb, the comp won't even get to post. bios won't even load up. So I was regulated to turning up the mutilplyer. I fi turn it up to fsb140, the comp will go into windows for about two sec. till it crashes. I have ultra pc2700 ram with 512 of it. I know it is not the best ram, I thought it would still do the job though.

Alright, thanks for all your replys guys, guess I will have to get better componets when money is available.

update, changed to winxp pro, made some other changes in the bios sucessfully got chip to 1.9ghz, but temp was a bit high, so change back down to 1.83 ghz, that is 11x166. I even got my fsb up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom