How do I adjust RAM speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobafett573

In Runtime
i was gonna go out and buy some OCZ Platinum Rev 2 RAM. I've heard that can overclock to 500+ Mhz! When I went into my motherboard BIOS, the only options I had were to adjust those 4 timing values and the voltage. There was NO OPTION AT ALL to adjust the RAM speed. It only allowed me to set the maximum speed: 266, 333, and 400. There were NO CUSTOM OPTIONS AT ALL. Does this mean I cannot overclock my RAM Mhz on my motherboard? Will it automatically adjust the Mhz when I change the timings and voltage? I really don't wanna waste money on nice overclocking RAM if my motherboard can't even overclock it!

First of all we need specs, then second of all, you just told us the options. The timing values and voltages. That's how you overclock.

specs are in my sig. asus k8n-e deluxe motherboard. i can only adjust the 4 timing values and voltage. does adjusting those values automatically make the Mhz go up? the RAM timings are 2-2-2-5. it's a common RAM.

You have something to say what speed for your ram to run at, just look for it.

And the way to overclock your ram is raising the FSB.

On your board, you need to change overclocking (and just about everything) to manual

i'm still not comprehending. i'll post some screenshots of my BIOS and hopefully you can help me more directly. i'll post 'em when i get home in a couple of hours (and yes i know i can't hit the printscreen button in BIOS lol. i'll use my digital camera)

Your CPU FSB or CPU HTT as it may be labeled will be at 200.......when you raise this the RAM will follow and chances are there is a ram ratio option in your BIOS that'll dictacte whether or not it sticks with the CPU at 1:1 which is what you want.

Your RAM will go to 250+MHz not 500MHz........ 250MHz = DDR500 that's what I've been saying.

oh wow that was quite clear, nubius. i get it now. so i MUST overclock the cpu to get higher RAM speeds, correct? (oh btw, i was tinkering with my BIOS a minute ago and yes, i saw my cpu fsb at 200 and it allowed me to go up in increments of 1.) also, if i have to overclock my RAM at the same time as my cpu, how do i make sure I don't blow my processor at the same time? sure, my RAM might be able to get to 250+MHz but how do I know my CPU can handle it?

You can lower your CPU multiplier, that's the number of 9 you will see

Your CPU wont handle 250mhz most likely, just keep checking the temperatures :)

yeah you can get the CPU up to 250, but not with your stock multiplier.....on a good OC'ing mobo you COULD technically raise the RAM seperate from the CPU but that'd be pointless, you'd just be creating a system bottleneck.

Lower your CPU's multi, then raise the FSB by increments of 5MHz.......so 205...then 210..each time booting into windows. Then run prime95 and let it run for 5 mins.....if it doesn't error then boost it up another 5 MHz......keep doing that until prime95 fails quickly at which time I'll need to boost your voltages.

I'd let that ram burn in in your system for about a week though before you start overclocking. Give it time to heat up and want to OC.

stock for that ram will be 2-2-2-5 at 2.6v

What is your current voltage max? Lets assume it's 2.8.....change your timings to 2.5-3-3-7 and raise your voltage to 2.8, this will assure you have lots of headroom to OC that RAM and you can raise the FSB and basically check on your CPU.

Once you get to like 225MHz and your CPU and RAM are running 1:1 run prime95 for +12 hours with the large in place FFT's mode, this will test the CPU primarly.

Run memtest86+ for a few hours letting it loop, if that doesn't error your RAM is good to go.

Then play an intensive game for a couple hours and that'll basically really seal the deal your system is stable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom