problems with shading on x800XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

the drizzle

In Runtime
I was looking into purchasing an ati x800XL, but i heard that it had some kind of problem with shading. I also heard that because of this it doesnt play doom 3. Any information?

I think you are talking about Pixel Shader 3, which ATI do not support, so you will be wasting your money now, unless they support it, as games would not look good on it, and you will have low fps.

But ignoring that, on todays games, it competes with the 6800gt which is ~£100 more.

Doom 3 is smoother on a Nvidia.
image021.gif

X800XL is not a bad card, but you will basically be wasting your money by getting one now. As the above guy said, Nvidia uses Pixel Shader 3.0 while ATI does not. Nobody thought Pixel Shader 3.0 would matter as much so soon, but game manufacturers are jumping right to 3.0 and leaving out coding for 2.0b (which can do the same effects) in order to market Nvidia cards. This way, only people with Nvidia hardware can play games with full eye candy. This is quite sleezy yet smart marketing by Nvidia IMHO.

Ok, thanks for the input. Definitely going for the nvidia. However, isnt Hl2 supposed to run better on ati?

the drizzle said:
Ok, thanks for the input. Definitely going for the nvidia. However, isnt Hl2 supposed to run better on ati?

It was originally supposed to, but they actually run about equal. There is a new mod comming out using HDR technology for HL2 that will make explicit use of Shader Model 3, so you will definately want an Nvidia so you don't miss out on that.

In the PCGamer issue, they previewed the Lost Coast and they said it ran flawlessly on an ATI card.

In that case, any recommendation on what nvidia card i should get? I know the 6800gt is good, but anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom