strange wireless issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpme00

Beta member
Using DSL for home internet access and I just set up a wireless access point router. The router is working great for the computers wired directly to it, but the wireless connection from my laptop is acting strange. For the first day after I set it up the wireless connection was strong and the signal was great throughout my home. After that, it seems the router is rejecting the wireless connection or something else is wrong. Im using a new wireless G PC card which is backward compatible to my wireless 802.11b router. Every once in a while, the laptop tries to establish a wireless connection and windows states that I am conncted and that signal strength is excellent. Then, the connection just dies, just seconds later. It keeps doing this over and over. I did not change any settings between the time it was working and the time that it wasnt. Ive tried every configuration change I could think of, but I have no idea why the wireless connection is excellent and then its just cut off instantly. I havent been able to use it at all. Any ideas?

How far are you away from the router? When the signal drops is there anything aroung the house that is turned on?Some electronics give off EMI and it can disrupt the wireless transmission.Make sure there is nothing in the way of the router,if the signal is low move it around,is the signal is strong then just drops look around and see what is being turned on or operating at the time.

no, nothing like that. I am actually right next to the router working on my laptop. Nothing could be interfering. It connects and then suddenly drops without me doing anything

The singnal drops or it just drops you from being on the Internet.It is a shot but can you check in your router and see how long your DHCP lease time is?If the problem persists have you tried resetting the router to factory defaults to see if that helps?

i have the same problem with my laptop...it will be connected one minute and disconnected the next. But when i move closer to the router i get fully connected. Make sure your laptop doesnt have bridged connections if your other computers dont.

Ive been browsing other forums and it seems a lot of people are having this issue with a certain linksys card. I think it might be bad software. Anyway, heres the whole scope of the situation.

The DSL connection always works through my router when using a wired connection. The DSL modem is set to bridge, and the router is configured to accept almost any connection. The lease time is 1 day and all the connections seem to be working, exept for this darn wireless card. The card has no conflicts, ive installed and reinstalled the driver and software many times, cleared the registry, etc. The card connects briefly to the router at 11Mbps, which is normal for 802.11b networks, and then right before it disconnects it tries to jump to 54Mbps, as if it is trying to function at 802.11g. The card is a 802.11G card but is backward compatible, but maybe theres something wrong with the card?! I changed absolutely nothing from one day to the next, but this is as close to a symptom as I can get. I really have no idea what could be wrong, the card is brand new.

i have a linksys router as well, and everything works fine when its wired. Perhaps they just make bad products. the 11mbps is just the current speed of the connection. Mine varies from 11, 24, 36, or 54.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom