Megaflops, gigaflops, BLASPHEMY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything where one thing can be better than the other is debatable. Macs are crap and heavily overpriced...there's nothing you can do on a mac that'd be so great as to justify their outrageous price.

"Ehhh the OS is stable and theres no virus's written for it" thats because no one would waste their time writing for an OS that isn't used by the mass market

Logic6 and Protools wont run on PC

That's why mac's are better for audio, those are undebatly the best program for a high end studio.

I think you'll find macs have a pretty devout following in the prepress part of graphics design, not so much because they are better now, but years ago when they hit the market for that purpose they were much better than anything else, that has in effect promoted the myth about graphics.While its true many big studios use things other than macs or windows PC's, they still use them,some very successfully.Movies have been made on a variety of platforms, but overall,from what my one studio customer tells me, when it comes to bulk rendering at high speed, linux is the choice, usually on off the shelf hardware made into rendering farms or clusters.When it comes to doing the actual editing, low to mid end studios may use x86 running windows or Macs, or both, but the high end studios will use custom software linked directly to a purpose built server farm, dont need to guess what thats gonna be.

I wish I had a "Renderfarm"... I don't know what i would do with it. But, i certainly would have some serious braggin' rights... And some content for my new sig... lol

HAVOC2k5 said:
I wish I had a "Renderfarm"... I don't know what i would do with it. But, i certainly would have some serious braggin' rights... And some content for my new sig... lol

Not hard to set one up, I played with it for awhile, using the openmosix kernel patch.Two of the apps I use come natively setup to use it if needed, cinelerra(non linear editor) and FFmpeg.A couple others can be done that way too, mpeg2enc will do distributed encoding and so will some of the Mjpeg tools.Could probably use transcode that way to with either netpipes or a FIFO buffer and ftp.

The cool thing about a cluster these days using openmosix is it(the mosix system) does the load balancing automatically and moves processes to other machines on its own, and does a really good job too from what ive seen.The big issue with its performance is latency on the network, you end up spending big bucks there to fix that compared to a cheapo hub and some cat 5.I had a 5 node system with mixed machines running for about 3 weeks, it was neat to play with.

The hard part is having enough work to make it practical.ive been doing about 25 dvd rips,25-30 VHS rips, and lots of format conversions every week, and even with the low end crap I use I get it done on time most of the time, but my systems have lots of cron jobs set up at all times.In about 2 weeks im building a new system, im still not decided on one really super fast machine, or a couple dual cpu rigs.They both would cost about the same, may end up flipping a coin on this deal LOL.

I really disagree that mac's are crap
they are overpriced, but they are far from crap

they don't have many programs available compared to PC's, but the quality of the programs are very high.

I think The Matrix was actually made on Mac's

bah, I don't really want to argue

Apple has poor ventilation, And their cases are made out of plastic. WTF! Ever heard of Aluminium?

The ouside's of their cases are plastic, the insides are aluminum.

DJ-CHRIS brought up a good point. Mac's are far superior in audio editing, and still are better in video editing. The office I work at, with their massive graphics department, is loaded with macs. When I went to school, the graphics arts department was loaded with macs. Granted maya is not mac, but other things...

Producers all use macs to to their audio editing. Every musician I have ever met that does audio editing does it on macs.

As for protools, you can use it on pc's. I have it. I'm not an audio manipulator, I only have it so I can learn it. Mess around with it.

Face it dude, I'm sorry but mac's are more superior than you think they are.

You gotta have more an open mind about things. I kow youve grown up all your life thinking macs are horrible, as did I, but you gotta let that go sometimes. They are not inerior macvhines that are just there for us PC people to laugh at, they are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom