I need to format my drive. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajete

In Runtime
I just finished clearing up a big mess with my hard drive. I had 2 partitions and files were corrupt and missing. So I was told to get a bootdisk delete those partition and format before installing windows Xp.

I'm at the RECOVERY CONSOLE now at the Command Prompt Screen. I need to know the command, in order to start a format.

Also... Does anyone have any suggestion as to if I should format too NT. or FAT? I have a 160GB Drive.

Just pop in the windows XP cd,boot to the XP setup screem, and follow directions from there. and put down that you want to erase/ format each partition. And for one of them, just put down that you want XP on one of them

Well for one thing, if you want a total format, use the 98 Boot Disk method. Pop the 98 boot disk in and Start with CD Rom Support.

Then when you see the A drive, if you want to delete partions, type "Fdisk" if you want to format each partion, do this:

1. Type "format c:" , For the Second Drive type "Format d:" Also, the RAM is considered a drive in DOS. Which will probably be e:

But once you have everything strait, goto a computer with internet access, and download the Setup Disk's for what version of XP you have. After the format, pop those inand install XP again.

Links:

98 Boot disk Download

Windows XP Setup Disks

uzi9mm said:
Just pop in the windows XP cd,boot to the XP setup screem, and follow directions from there. and put down that you want to erase/ format each partition. And for one of them, just put down that you want XP on one of them

Alright Uzi. I gotcha mang. Thanks

Sorrow said:
Well for one thing, if you want a total format, use the 98 Boot Disk method. Pop the 98 boot disk in and Start with CD Rom Support.

Then when you see the A drive, if you want to delete partions, type "Fdisk" if you want to format each partion, do this:

1. Type "format c:" , For the Second Drive type "Format d:" Also, the RAM is considered a drive in DOS. Which will probably be e:

But once you have everything strait, goto a computer with internet access, and download the Setup Disk's for what version of XP you have. After the format, pop those inand install XP again.

Links:

98 Boot disk Download

Windows XP Setup Disks

Setup Disk.
Let me understnad ya a bit better.
You mean after I format and I have the computer running good with internet, to get the Windows XP Boot disk? and install XP again?

No. the Setup disks are only for when you completely Format the whole rig. Almost like having a new drive. the 98 Boot disk is the easiest thing to format with. Or you could boot off the Xp CD...

Also... Does anyone have any suggestion as to if I should format too NT. or FAT? I have a 160GB Drive
Doesn't matter. When you re-install XP it will convert it to NFTS.

Sorrow said:
No. the Setup disks are only for when you completely Format the whole rig. Almost like having a new drive. the 98 Boot disk is the easiest thing to format with. Or you could boot off the Xp CD...

Doesn't matter. When you re-install XP it will convert it to NFTS.

It will only do that if you want it too. It will ask you what file system you want. Either Fat32 or NTFS. Pick NTFS since it is just better.

uzi9mm said:

this is the easy way to get errrr done:p

do you want one partition or 2?

if you want one, you will have to delete both partitions in fdisk, create a new one and then format.
I wouldn't format in Fdisk, because you can format to NTFS with the XP CD anyway (DOS and 98 don't support NTFS)
it would just save time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom