Suggestions for Video Editing Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so I'm gonna go with a P4. I need a little help deciding though. While comparing these two processors:

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116201

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116197

The only difference I see is that one has a 2MB L2 cache which cost $65 more. What I want to know is, how important is L2 cache size for video editing?

Also, I was just wondering exactly how stable a RAID 0 setup is? I know that it adds speed/performance but that it is also suppose to half the expected time until failure. I don't have any experience with any RAID setups so I just wanted to hear from those who use them. I'd hate to setup my buddy with a RAID 0 config only to have him lose his projects that he's worked on all semester.

I also wanted to know which would work better, a professional video card like a Quadro or FIRE GL or a regular gaming card? Some of those professional cards are real expensive. So would I be better off with a cheap ($200) professional card or a higher end ($200) gaming card?

Anyways, I appreciate the initial suggestions. They at least got the ball rolling on picking out parts, so I thank you all. Keep em coming. ;)

professional card is better

btw, uzi i think you recommended a low-end gaming rig instead of a video editing rig

Your right I did make a low end gaming computer. But It is also a high-end editing setup. It will power thru any editing jobs. I threw in a 6600 because he said it will be used for light gaming too.

also you really wont see a difference in speed of rendering with a professional video card. 99% of Video editing is all CPU labor.
Those pro cards are really only good for 3-d animation. And to take advantage of those you need to make like Toy Story type animations. And I don't think that type of work will cross this computer, so there is no point in buying one.

OK, I'll get a little bit more information about the type of work he'll be doing before I pick out the graphics card. I know he mention the he would be using Adobe Premier Pro and Maya, and a couple of other programs that I can't remember right now.

What about the L2 cache size though?

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Prod...N82E16819116201

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Prod...N82E16819116197

The only difference I see is that one has a 2MB L2 cache which cost $65 more. What I want to know is, how important is L2 cache size for video editing?
Is there any other differences between those 2 processors?

And can anyone give me more info about their RAID 0 setups?

Also, I was just wondering exactly how stable a RAID 0 setup is? I know that it adds speed/performance but that it is also suppose to half the expected time until failure. I don't have any experience with any RAID setups so I just wanted to hear from those who use them. I'd hate to setup my buddy with a RAID 0 config only to have him lose his projects that he's worked on all semester.

Cache is very important. But I would not jump into a 64-bit intel. IT is YOUR choice.

Also RAID 0 pretty reliable/fast.
Raid 1 is the most reliable. Raid 1 mirrors the 1st drive So if one fails you can restore thru the other one.

the Intel emulation of 64bit is poor compared the the proper 64bit from AMD.
Please, can we put this to bed. There is nothing "emulated" about the pentium 64bit. It is the exact same thing as the AMD version for Christs sakes.

So wait, what the hell does that mean? I was looking at going with an Intel P4 630 because I thought Intel was better at video editing and graphic design/animation. Is that not the case among 64-bit processors?

If I'm gonna go with a 64-bit processor, should I get an AMD instead? Is there a difference between the way AMD and Intel do 64-bit processing?

Damn! Just when I thought I had his system lined out, someone throws me a curve ball.

Intels are better at video editing. But if you are going to get a 64-bit CPU get an AMD. Intel has emulated 64 bit extensions. A 32-bit Intel is a better choice for editing.

So, between a P4 530, a P4 630, or an Athlon 64 3000+, the P4 530 would be THE best for video editing and graphic design/animation? But for 64-bit the Athlon is the way to go?

Do I have that straight? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom