Need to start overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should be looking for either the HTT or LDT frequency to adjust in the BIOS, that's basically the FSB for your CPU.

CPU speed is calculated in Athlon 64s by multiplying the multiplier by the HTT (basically the FSB). For example, a 3200+ at stock speeds:

200MHz x 10 = 2000MHz or 2GHz

Raising the HTT by 10MHz will do the following:

210MHz x 10 = 2100MHz or 2.1GHz

The HTT speed will either be 1000MHz (socket 939) or 800MHz (socket 754). As a general rule you do want the HTT speed to increase past these speeds, so as raising the HTT speed, lower the HTT multiplier (should be called the LDT/FSB frequency ratio on the DFI nf4).

Basically, if looking back at the 3200+ example:

200MHz x 5 = 1000MHz or 1GHz
210MHz x 5 = 1100MHz or 1.1GHz

If it exceeds 1000MHz as it is above you want to lower the HTT multiplier to keep it below 1000MHz.

Also, when overclocking, your CPU run on 1:1 ratio with your RAM, PCI and AGP. Since PCI and AGP like to stay where they are (33MHz and 66MHz), and increasing these speeds may fry your parts, you want to lock your PCI/AGP slots. Also, since your RAM runs on a 1:1 you'll need to loosen timings and up DIMM voltage as you continue increasing speeds.

As far as CPU overclocking goes, raise by small increments, boot Windows and test in Prime95 for a few minutes. If it crashes or becomes unstable you need to raise your vcore. Once you start upping the core voltage, your temperatures will start rising fairly quickly so you may want to keep an eye on that. Once the ideal overclock is obtained test in Prime95 for 24 hours.

So to recap:
Keep HTT speed below its stock setting
Lock AGP/PCI slot
Loosen RAM timings and increase DIMM voltage
Increase CPU speed by small increments, increase vcore if unstable

Gaara I dunno if I'm understanding you, but I'm overclocking via raising the FSB like in the Overclocking Basics guide and kinda wondering 2 things:

What programme is there to monitor CPU temp?

If the system becomes unstable via not enough voltage it won't be serious enough not to boot again? Will it?

Just use the BIOS to monitor the temperatures, it'll be the most accurate and reputable source you'll find. If you increase by too much without testing in prime95 for stability your machine may reach a point where it will not point into Windows. This is resolved easily by simply raising the vcore in the BIOS to regain stability. Instability shouldn't cause any harm to your hardware.

I've left the PCI-E speeds alone!

I'm riding on 3500 speeds now, I'm gonna clock on but I'll raise the volt by a little, as for stability tests will 3dmark05 do?

Yeah I check my CPU temp via bios but was hoping for something that can monitor whilst gaming, or should I just add +10c for under heavy loads?

What temps shouldn't I be reaching at?

3Dmark or any heavy load program that strains the CPU and puts it under 100% usage such be sufficent for testing stability, but prime95 is something you should get once you reach the ideal OC as you need to test for 24 hours and prime95 just keeps going and going and going...

If you wanna monitor the temperatures, download something like speedfan or motherboard monitor 5, check your idle temperature in the BIOS and then check the idle temperature in one of these programs, if they're about the same you should be fine for getting accurate readouts.

As for temperatures, I'm a paranoid freak, I don't like my CPU load temperature touching 50 degrees, but anything 60 and below is fine and there is no need for concern.

Gaara - he has a DFI NF4 board I believe, that's PCI-E no AGP bus
:D :D :D lol should I draw a diagram just to be sure? :p

lol should I draw a diagram just to be sure? :p
Wha? I only said it cause of this part:
Also, when overclocking, your CPU run on 1:1 ratio with your RAM, PCI and AGP. Since PCI and AGP like to stay where they are (33MHz and 66MHz), and increasing these speeds may fry your parts, you want to lock your PCI/AGP slots.

I've OC'd some more to 2.4, still stable but I'm sure I'm not getting enough voltage to the CPU cause I've dropped scores in 3DMark05 from OCing to 2.2.

1.856 voltage at the current mo, up the voltage? Kinda worried cause my 3200 not clocked was at 1.36... Quite a leap up?

I posted this before (in another thread) about Rivatuner
attachment.php

it is in 16 colour, so it was small enough to attach when I posted it before

but before overclocking your GPU, I would look into getting better cooling. the XFX stock coolers are always, well, not very good

On 6800GT

I've only been overclocking under the "3D performance" drop down, should I bother overclocking in the areas like "2D something?" etc?

On 3200

Can anyone tell me why I'm dropping numbers on 3DPoint05, I've seen screenshots of clocking of 2.7 on 1.6volts etc, what's the deal with that? I've had no such unstability and could easily pull that off but anything over 2.2 the numbers are going backwards, what's odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom