AMD 64 Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Him said:
Even still, the idea of removing a heatsink and placing a thermometer on the exterior of the cpu to find the temp is not only not practical, it's b orderline absurd. It is not an accurate way of getting the temp. It takes something roughly ten minutes to cool down or warm up to room temperature. When you turn off your cpu, it is not going to get any hotter therefore will immediately start to cool down. The heatsink is also still doing it's job, cooling the cpu. Now, imagine about 15 or 30 seconds to get the side panel off, and another minute or two to remove the heatsink. The tip of a thermometer is metal, and will most likely be colder than room temperature, at least not NEARLY the temp of the cpu. And touching the cpu with it will add another element of cool to it, let it be a little, it is cooler nontheless. So right there you have 1 and a half to 2 minutes of the CPU cooling down.

As you can clearly see, this method of checking the temp on the cpu is extremely innefective and does nothign but waste your time. I'm sorry if I was condascending at all, but I had to be. ;-)

You are right though, it is possible that they are bad. This is by no means a way of checking them though, as it would be absurdly innaccurate.

(People use computers with cases on?)

Sorry i should've specified what i ment by external sensor... I have this nexus thing that has 3 sensors on it.. I usually cram one in between the CPU and the MB (by running the wires around the pins). It sounds dangerous but the wire is very thin, and the sensors themselves are tiny. I use the nexus for testing purposes when im doing things like overclocking to see how effective the heatsink is. Like you're saying... using a mercury thermometer is kind of impractical, but far from dangerous.

Gamer_RPK said:
i actually looked at the 7700cu.... I'm just afraid it wouldnÂ’t fit..... it's huge it weights about 2 lbs and I'm not sure if it would hit any of the surrounding components.....

Haha, if you have the same Antec P160 as I then you absolutley have no problem putting that puppy in. Most people underestimate the sheer size of that case. I'd go with the AlCu version just cuz.

Ever heard of water cooling? I lnow it's kind of pricey but it works! Instead of water, put Liquid Nitrogen, overclock to extreme speeds!

desiboi said:
Ever heard of water cooling? I lnow it's kind of pricey but it works! Instead of water, put Liquid Nitrogen, overclock to extreme speeds!

It just doesnt work like that, liquid nitrogen doesnt work in watercooling.

You would end up breaking all the plastic, even bakelite.

Joeisalsocool said:
Haha, if you have the same Antec P160 as I then you absolutley have no problem putting that puppy in. Most people underestimate the sheer size of that case. I'd go with the AlCu version just cuz.

I'm not worried about my case,.... more worried about it covering the ram..... it'd deffently fit in the case though...

I'm sorry but that fan looks like a turbine/jet engine. Looks like it would keep it cool as ice though...

as far as water cooling goes..... ahhhh I'm a little sketchy on that oneÂ…Â… I know itÂ’s fairly safe and all, and consistent, but I think IÂ’ll stick to the fan for a bitÂ….

ya that fan from "HIM"s post looks awesome, I looked at that too, originally, but there was some mods I needed to do. probably just replacing the retention bracket under the board, but I didn't wana do any of that, and now it's all installed, it'd be a pain to change the bracket under the board, but I'll think about it

naw, no glue. it's a plastic frame..... I had to change the retaining frame on top to put the current heat sink on.... so I know the part on the bottom should come right off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom