Pcmcia

Status
Not open for further replies.

goku2100

Baseband Member
I just wanted to clarify things... I did some research on the PCMCIA bus on laptops and noticed that there are 16bit PCMCIA and 32bit PCMCIA ports which have a huge performance difference. I also noticed that they have firewire/USB 2.0 PCMCIA cards for laptops and so I wanted to know if it would make sense to use those in laptop's PCMCIA ports or not. IIRC the 32bit PCMCIA supports either 133MB/s or 133Mb/s which is a VERY VERY large difference. And the PCMCIA 16bit ports support a measley speed of either 20MB/s or 20Mb/s.

You mean the 16bit? thats up to the user, it doesen't have to make sense or anything. What are you trying to get at?

-GrayWolf

Well I wanted to 1. Make sure I had my speeds correct (clarified) 2. In clarifying the speeds, would answer the question to whether having a PCMCIA Firewire/USB 2.0 card or not.

In short;Firewire /usb 2.0 is not compatible with the 16 bit bus.The card will fit in the slot ,but will not seat.

bah. aren't the PCMCIA USB 2.0 cards 16bit/32bit compatible? Anyways even on the 32bit bus would a USB 2.0 card make sense or not? I essentially wanted to clarify if the bus speed had a theoretical output of 133MB/s or Mb/s...

The only 16bit you will find will be IN REALLY OLD LEGACY GEAR.

Yes it makes sense to use an USB \ Firewire card in a laptop, I think I will buy a firewire card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom