Flashing Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

MADWAD

In Runtime
The mobo i use is a ASUS P4PE and the bios were last updated in 2002. Should i update bios to a new version? And what exactly is the purpose of updating your bios?

For the most part there is no real useful purpose except with the new CPU's like the winchesters that required a BIOS flash just to be recognized. If your CPU is working then don't bother flashing it.

In my case I use custom BIOS's because overclocking on this board can be limited with the manufacturer BIOS and different BIOS's can offer better stability.

You don't need to do anything though and shouldnt worry about it

Updating the BIOS increases stability and reliability (there are exceptions). The most important part of a BIOS flash is forceware and compatibility extensions.

All the above is correct, but be careful when you flash the BIOS. There can not be any interruptions during the flash. So make sure you dont do it during an electrical storm, if the computer turns off during the flash, your BIOS will be corrupted and you will be SOL. I would turn off unnecessary background programs like anti-virus and applications to be safe. Its a good idea to do flash it, just be careful.

I would turn off unnecessary background programs like anti-virus and applications to be safe.
Well if you flash in DOS like you should you don't need to worry about that ;)

Gaara - it really doesn't add any noticeable stability unless they've made insane changes. If his system is already working fine and he's not overclocking it, he really doesn't need to change it. Even if he was overclocking it, generally upgrading to a newer manufacturer BIOS still won't do much.

Like I said if your system is running like it should, don't bother with it. I did write an article here about BIOS flashing and recovery if one goes wrong and how to hot flash (scary process lol) just click the 'computer articles' link.

Thanks for explaining that but.....

The reason i'm even asking about "flashing bios" is because IÂ’ve wanted to oc my processor. I press alt-f2 when i boot my computer and all i get is something stated about when i had flashed my bios last and directory that i can flash my new bios too....? I was thinking i'd get a screen saying stuff about voltage, FSB, Multiplier, ect....???? I can also press "tab" at boot but all that happens is some extra text comes up when booting the computer. So i'm thinking i need to flash my bios with a newer version to be able to oc:confused::umm: Maybe:umm::confused:

to OC your bios has to already have the options available. BIOS's don't unlock otherwise hidden features. Try Delete to get into the BIOS or just hitting F12 by itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom