Host/Client Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

maloner

Baseband Member
Guys ! I'm having trouble with remote access; can anyone please tell me if the following statement is true or false ?

"The host computers are machines that will be used to acces the client machines and remotely control them. the client machines are the computers that will be controlled."

TIA

hmm, Yes. But not in all situations. Host=server. Servers and clients can be remotely controlled. I can remotely log in to a server and control it from my pc or i can log on to a client and control it from the server. but they may be refering to which ever system you are trying to remote from as the host machine. they may consider which ever computer you are using as the host. need more context in which you have read this statement?

a host is nothing more that a terminal in a network (according to cisco, who sets the standards for naming) a host can be either a server or a pc

By way of clarification, let me tell you what I'm trying to do.
I have a Laptop which I'd like to use, from work, to connect to the main PC on my home network by using pcAnywhere.
The question is : which is the Host and which is the Client ?

The host would be your home pc which you are trying to log into. The laptop would be your client that is trying to reach your home PC.

hehe, i recognise my own qoute from your PCA topic. Ray, i think you are confused because at any given time you can reverse roles. the client can turn around and control the host which than makes the client the host and the host than becomes the client.

think of it this way: host is analogous to master as client is analogous to slave. it only describes their relationship towards each other.

Thanks, tech4hire, I was doing it the other way round. "Your" way may make a difference, hey ? I'll have another go.

ekÆsine, yes....still confused, but I'll get there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom