turning a loptop--> a desktop???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtard650

Beta member
hey there guys,
I have a Fujitsu N3010 notebook with a broken LCD screen... after months of searching on EBay and other wed based computer stores... the cheapest replacement i've found has been 350$$$ uninstalled... (theyre selling for about 600 on E-bay "working like new")

question is... would it be possible to transfer the parts from the notebook into a desktop case??? it was having horrible overheating problems, largely due to poor design and ventilation for the P4... figured the ventilation from a desktop case, and a monster fan would allow it to run fine... anyone ever done a transfer like this or know where i can get information on doing one??? or if it's even possible???

It depends largely on your graphics card. Generally the answer is no. Many laptops have their graphics card soldered onto the mobo. Either open it up and take a look or call up the company and ask.

i took it apart... and it is attached to the motherboard... it's a mobility radeon 9000... this make it impossible???

If the laptop has any sort of VGA port, maybe this could be done. If not, it would depend on how the graphics card is hooked up to the internal monitor. Can you see the cables attaching the graphics card to where the laptop display used to be?

Issue with putting this in a desktop case would be the location of the ports, and cdrom bays. You'd either need to severely modify the case, or make one specifically designed to mount the insides of the ex-laptop. It would be interesting project. Potentially easy to damage hardware in the process though, so I'd be careful.

If you decide to go through with this, update us with pictures. Would be very interesting.

okay thanks for the feedback... i have a buddy that is great with case mods... i'll be in touch with him and post the pics if it is a success...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom