What causes a slow comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxxx6969

Baseband Member
can someone please explain what really slows down the processing speed on computers, i know most of it is files taking up space in your HD but i juss deleted 50 gb's worth of stuff off my 200gb (180gb) HD and it still seems a little slow, i was gonna do the Defragmatize the hard drive thing, i have a AMD 64 3200+ with a gig of ram. can someone please explain that to me thankss

Fragged hard drives as well as old XP installs (over 6 months) and virus \ spyware make a PC slow if you have fast hardware

Although *very* full hard drives can slow down your computer, more likely than not it is adware/spyware/virii/general crap that is slowing down your computer. Defragging is always good and will certainly result in a performance gain, but you should run some scans for unwanted programs. Additionally, take a look at some of the things running in the backgraound. Real-time virus protection (called Auto-Protect in Norton, not sure about other anti-virus apps) can suck down a lot of power, and will frequently cause problems (I was loading BF1942 on my laptop and Norton decided to halt it while it scanned one of the files it was loading... not pretty).

Look through your startup items (Start -> Run -> Type "msconfig" -> Startup) and disable ones you dont need. Google things you aren't sure of, but it is probably safe to disable all that originate from Program Files, and others too.

Yeah.. Whatever takes up ur prcessor cycles man. Spyware, fragmented drives, unnecesary programs, an intensive virus scanner, etc. can all slow ur system down.

One of the comps I am running is a PIII, with 256 MB of RAM. Runs with no problems.. :).. Urs definitely shud not run slow.

hey people, thanks so much for the info, its good to know i found a place that ppl really help me out when im having a problem...ill let you guys know how everything turns out right now im defragging my C_Drive.

I had one other question, i use Nero 6 Ultra ed. and when i copy my dvd's of any video file, it used to run quick now its slowed down by about 15 minutes, could the problem i asked about before be effecting the burning process also or is it a whole seperate problem my drive is only 8x's dvdrw i was thinking of getting a quicker external dvdrw burner. any ideas.

once again A BIG THANKS FOR THE Replies.

A defragged HD would cause a slow burn. If your hard drive is having a hard time finding all of the fragments of a file that you want on the DVD then the burn process will slow down.

Back-up all important files and folders. Format the HDD, reinstall windows and all necessary drivers. Upgrade you RAM, in todays world of PC's no one should be running less then 512MB.

This is the quick and easy way to fix a slow PC. The hard way... well that's a whole new thread i'm not in the mood to get into right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom