Can i do this??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT2DFW

Solid State Member
Ok, let me try explaining what Im trying to do. I just moved into a house. Now I have a main PC and a few other machines. Now, i want to network between my main PC and another system (B PC) that i will put right next to it. Now i want to use B PC as a file and music server. Now I can handle that, but i also have another system (C PC) in another room that I just want to use as internet access. Now can I set up a wireless network with my Main PC and 'C' PC even though i have used a wired network with 'B' PC. I guess my reason for wanting to do this is because i dont know how reliable the transfer of music or access to other files on an wireless network. With 'C' PC, i just want a second PC to be able browse the web. Any suggestions?

Most of your wireless routers have Wired ports on them. just plug your network cables into them, and set up a wireless card on the C pc. This should be easy. If you get a wireless access point that does not have network cable plugs in it you can plug that in a hub for hard wired pcs and use your wireless to the other room. If what i am talking about doesnt make since just look at some wireless routers for sale and look at the setup manuals and it will explain the way these networks are setup. Dlink might be a good place to start. They are cheap and have many diff models.

I beleive it would look something like this.

Wireless router example: Here
Wireless PCI card (PC C) example: Here - this needs a spare PCI slot in ur PC
Wireless USB Adapter (PC C) example: Here 0 this just slots into a spare USB

Note i aint sponsored by Netgear or owt! They just have good examples, i think they're pretty good tho!

Attachments

• dvd shrink1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 7
Just wondering, how far away is your other room? Cos transfer rates are somewhat lower with wireless, might be worth running a wire tidy round the skirt board if it aint oo far.

One thing though, if you go wireless, dont forget to make it secure (cant really help too much with that sorry) especially if you got a internet connection on it!

lol nice pic mouse, now help me with my networking on Operating Systems and Software: setting up a network

Lol. I looked at your thread but couldn't really help, i just like drawing bad pictures in MS Paint! I'm still learning loads of stuff. Which is why i am reading through loads of threads on here, to learn stuff, thats the first bit of help i've offered! I can tell you though that the person you need is a dude called AEskine, he helped one dude so much with a problem quite similar to yours (networking and remote acess and the like) he practically flew to Australia (where the receiver of help was based) and did it for him!

I suggest you PM that guy, i was very impressed!

it is about 30 feet away in the garage which i am converting to my office/play area. Running a wire that long will look real crazy. The only thing id be doing is just basic browsing.

Right well yeah, you wanna go for that setup what i (and t'other dude, tech4hire) suggested. I would look into/ask about the security though, you may of heard about people switching laptops on in the general area of unsecure wireless networks and being able to connect to theire net connection and browse their network.

Be cafeful for that :p

ok then, this is a good question for someone out there. How can i make sure that my wireless connection is sucure from hackers

Oops just noticed i of course meant people switched Wireless Network enabled Laptops, you cant just do it with any old puter.

sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom