CPU's

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITwannabee

In Runtime
Hi everyone!!

I'm trying to purchase a new laptop and my budget is about $1,500 only. i'm not into video games or anything and i will be using this laptop for mp3's, movies, photoshop, microsoft office, and web surfing. lately, there have been many different CPU's. Which one would you guys recommend?

Also, can someone please explain to me the differences between the following CPU's:

Pentium M 360j, 730, 745, 750, 760
Pentium 4
pentium processor
celeron processor

the p4 are already at 2.0+ GHz so why did they come up with new ones that's around 1.6GHz? is it because of heat or battery life or something?

Also, what is intel centrino technology?

Sorry for all of the questions, i haven't kept track of hardware for about 4 years now and technology changed so much.

Thanks for the help.

You should go for Pentium 4 if you want an Intel processor. Celerons are budget chips, Pentium M's are for laptops, with low power consumption and heat generation.

A PM processor detects when it is idle and uses less power to conserve battery. In other works 1.6ghz is its max but will run at lower speeds when the power isnt needed

Well, which one would you guys prefer, p4 at 2.8GHz or Pentium M at 1.5? I guess that's like comparing apples to oranges but please give opinions.

Thank you.

he DOES want a laptop, he said that. i would suggest a 1.7ghz intel w/ centrino. it uses less voltage and doset consume as much battery life. plus if im right it can outperform the faster 2.**gig cpus.

how can a 1.7GHz outperform a 2.0+ gig CPU? CPU's are measured in how fast and how much they can process? I guess i still don't know exactly what a CPU does. Can someone please tell me.

ITwannabee said:
how can a 1.7GHz outperform a 2.0+ gig CPU? CPU's are measured in how fast and how much they can process? I guess i still don't know exactly what a CPU does. Can someone please tell me.

Speed doesnt matter for everything.

Andatech recently did a test by putting a 2.0GHZ Intel Mobile in a desktop. They OC'ed it to 2.7 GHZ and it beat out the 3.8GHZ Intel's for gaming.

The mobile pentiums are kinda like the AMD cpu's. They do more work per clock cycle.

Its kinda like having 2 guys having a brick carrying contest. 1 guy runs faster but he does not pick up as many bricks. The other guy runs slower but he picks up a sh!t load of bricks.

The perverbial sh!t brick house

So, instead of looking for the speed of the CPU, i should pay more attention on what kind of CPU it is? I think i'll definately look into the PM's then.

What are the other factors do you guys pay attention to before purchasing a laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom