Windows XP hangs at splash screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourtruths

Beta member
This problem started several days ago. On restart the XP splash screen loads but freezes as the progress bar is in motion. After rebooting several times it does load to the desktop, but on restarting again it hangs.

I have searched reference articles, forums, etc and have found others have the same problem and have narrowed it down to nvidia drivers and hardware conflicts that load after 'mup.sys' in the boot up process.

I had installed a nvidia graphics card and driver before this problem began but then uninstalled, deciding to keep the on board sis igp. I have downloaded driver cleaner and removed all traces of the nvidia driver but the problem persists

I am running XP sp2, p4 3ghz, foxconn motherboard, sis 661fx graphics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I mended a PC for someone with same problem - completely erased HDD using FDISK then reinstalled XP - worked fine ever since - I know this is a final measure, but my take on it was that it was a VIRUS with some kind of timer somehow - OS would load up only when PC was left for a long period (day) but after shut down it would not get past loading bar screen however many times I tried, until left again. Not had problem since. System restore or driver fiddling didn't do it. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom