AMD 64 Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
thx tyler,
Ya.... removing your heat sink isn't really a good idea... never mind touching a scorching cpu die, but you also ruin your heat sinkÂ’s thermal bond the cpu. I'm gun'a try bolt'n up the 120mm fan to this heat sink first.... see how that does

Him said:
Dude, I'm sorry man but that's ridiculous. If you are worried about your cpu overheating, you CERTAINLY dont want to touch the heatsink! Put a thermometer on it? Go in Windows, run a thermometer program to read your bios temp settings. I'm sorry man, but i hjad to.

Ryan, here: http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835101201

It works SOOO great, heard nothing but good things about it. Except for those people who wrote bad reviews, but screw them.

He was saying that the onboard temp sensors might be bad. This is plausable because i've had it happen on several occasions. If that is the case then using anything other than an external sensor will simply not work.

ya, I tie wraped an extra 120mm fan to the top of it and it's running at 120f loaded. too bad.... I spent a whole day hiding all the wires and spent 3 seconds half ass-ly tie wrapping that fan to the heat sink...... great

just buy a new heatsink. zalman makes a really good one, but i forget what its called. someone here will know what it is.

i actually looked at the 7700cu.... I'm just afraid it wouldnÂ’t fit..... it's huge it weights about 2 lbs and I'm not sure if it would hit any of the surrounding components.....

senseless said:
He was saying that the onboard temp sensors might be bad. This is plausable because i've had it happen on several occasions. If that is the case then using anything other than an external sensor will simply not work.

Even still, the idea of removing a heatsink and placing a thermometer on the exterior of the cpu to find the temp is not only not practical, it's b orderline absurd. It is not an accurate way of getting the temp. It takes something roughly ten minutes to cool down or warm up to room temperature. When you turn off your cpu, it is not going to get any hotter therefore will immediately start to cool down. The heatsink is also still doing it's job, cooling the cpu. Now, imagine about 15 or 30 seconds to get the side panel off, and another minute or two to remove the heatsink. The tip of a thermometer is metal, and will most likely be colder than room temperature, at least not NEARLY the temp of the cpu. And touching the cpu with it will add another element of cool to it, let it be a little, it is cooler nontheless. So right there you have 1 and a half to 2 minutes of the CPU cooling down.

As you can clearly see, this method of checking the temp on the cpu is extremely innefective and does nothign but waste your time. I'm sorry if I was condascending at all, but I had to be. ;-)

You are right though, it is possible that they are bad. This is by no means a way of checking them though, as it would be absurdly innaccurate.

They don't cool that quickly. I shut down my PC at 44 Celsius, then 20 minutes later, yes 20!, it was 43 Celsius, not much of a difference.

desiboi said:
They don't cool that quickly. I shut down my PC at 44 Celsius, then 20 minutes later, yes 20!, it was 43 Celsius, not much of a difference.

Must have a huge block of copper without many fins if your measuring on the heatsink, and if that's the CPU actual temp, you must have a poor thermal connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom