Which MB for a 2.8/2.93 celeron???

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexGT

Beta member
Hi all!

I am looking to upgrade my computer and need some help deciding which motherboard to buy.

I am planning to get a 2.8 or 2.93ghz Celeron D processor (socket 478) and about 1 to 2 gigs of ram, it will be used for surfing, general office apps. and probably the most demanding app. will be video editing and backing dvds and Autocad on rare cases and some games (Half Life) I want one that is stable, with lots of room to grow, LAN, USBÂ’s , 4/8x AGP slot, but want integrated video (at least 32mb, good 64mb, prefered 128mb) and audio since I am really tight on budget. For RAM the more the merrier(2GB minimum, 4gb preffered), PC 3200 would be nice, double channel even better. I want micro ATX since that is what I have on the case and do not know if a bigger one would fit.

I already have a big HD IDE ATA Disk , Floppy, DVD burner, keyboard, optical mouse and a 19 inch monitor.

Now for the money part, I want all this for $250 - $280 range I made a list at newegg and came in at $259 for a MB, Processor, fan and a gig of Pc 3200 RAM

Here are the options I am considering for MB I picked from the internet, help me decide which is the best for me or suggest another one that would meet my requirements.

ASUS P4P800-MX Socket 478 Intel 865GV $66
PC CHIPS M981G V5.0 Socket 478 Intel 865GV $49.25
ECS 865G-M v5.0A Socket 478 Intel 865G $66.50
CHAINTECH MPM800-3 Socket 478 VIA PM800 $52.99
GIGABYTE GA-8I865GVMK Socket 478 Intel 865GV $66

I appreciate your help and hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely
AlexGT

i wouldn't suggest pc chips or ecs, anything else is fine

btw, onboard gfx and celeron (worst processor for anything) will handle video editing//autocad//half life well

jus my 2cents

Thanks for your reply DiabloII, Pcchips and ECS out. Didnt quite get the celeron good for nothing comment, Since I don't really know the AMD processors, What would be an equivalent or better in performance to consider? Do you think it can he had at that price range?

Thanks again

AlexGT

diabloII said:

btw, onboard gfx and celeron (worst processor for anything) will handle video editing//autocad//half life well

*Sniff* *Sniff*

Do I smell a bit of sarcasm?

Alex most folks here will tell you that for video editing and autocad a P4 is the way to go. At least that's the case for 32bit chips, some folks disagree about who has the edge in the 64bit arena.

Anyways, check out the P4's on newegg. Yes they are more expensive, but they are better at what it is you want to do with your computer.

Also, on board graphics will have a hard time with HL and video editing as well.

Just because a Celeron has a high ghz doesn't mean its better. The P4 chips have a greater FSB and more often then not, double the L2 cache

Go with the Gigabyte

Thanks guys!

Ok, let me get this straight, A 2.80/2.93 Ghz celeron is slower than a lower speed P4? How much slower? Well as I said autocad would be used rarely, video editing / dvd burning would be used about 3 or 4 times a month, surfing, office, videoconferencing, and some play time daily.

I been researching where to buy, newegg has been very good at deals before with me, but right now I am looking at Monarchcomputer.com for the build, they charge $0.00 for build and testing and the price is about 2 dollars more than newegg. and I would get a tested ready to run MB.

Has anyone bought from them before? are they reputable dealers? Are they fast at shipping?

I have narrowed down to 2 MB the first being a

- Asus P4P800-MX 865GV Audio/Video/LAN/USB/NO-AGP/SATA/DDR/800-FSB u-ATX $64.00 110803

This has no AGP slot but has onboard video, the nice thing about this is that it can go up to 4 gb on RAM, and please correct me if I am wrong, Can get a pci video card that will fit later?

The other one is a

GIGABYTE GA-8IG1000MK Socket 478 Intel 865G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

This one has a AGP and onboard video and also can go up to 4 GB and is only about $25 more than the Asus P4P800-MX

Which Do you think would be a good choice or do I need to research some more?

Thanks!
AlexGT

I highly recommend the Asus P4P800-VM instead of the -MX. The -VM costs a couple more dollars but it has an open AGP slot in case you want to upgrade your vid card later.

Have a look at the CPU charts at www.tomshardware.com to compare the difference in performance difference between the processors:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/index.html

I set up a comparison between a 2.6GHz P4 and a 2.6GHz Celeron here:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/index.html?modelx=33&model1=32&model2=43&chart=25

If you can afford the P4 over the Celeron, go for it!

Hi Elbatrop1!

Thank you very much for the CPU charts link, that will certainly give me a few sleepless nights of research, will check the Asus VM instead of the MX, it's $95 on Newegg.

This upgrade thing is certainly a PITA, lots of options to choose from, Not enough cash to spend, I wish I won the lottery or something so I can get me a supercomputer and don't have to think about the $$$

Thanks again for your very useful links, I appreciate it.

AlexGT

you HAVE to go P4

and btw, it wasn't sarcasm, it was a typo ;)

i meant celerons SUCK for those things (in fact they suck for everthing for the price)

Hahaha, I know what you mean. I sometimes wish I had tons of money to randomly buy things too.

Even if you did decide to go with a Celeron, you wouldnt be dissapointed.

When choosing RAM, get PC3200 (200 MHz) even though it will run at PC2700 (133MHz) speeds. This will ensure you dont have to upgrade your RAM if you decide to eventually go with a P4. The PC3200 RAM doesnt seem to be very different in price to PC2700.

Heres a part list that I would recommend:

MOBO: ASUS P4P800-VM Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131460
$97

CPU:intel Celeron D 335 533MHz FSB Socket 478 Processor
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819112186
$97.99

RAM:Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model KVR400X64C3AK2/1G
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141423
$78.99

Although I dont like to recommend a Celeron, this fits in your budget. Like I said, even with a Celeron, you will still have a pretty powerful machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom