10/100 and 10/100/1000 WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsnyder100

In Runtime
I currently have a mobo withe 10/100/1000 ethernet jack and am buying onw with justa 10/100 ethernet jack and was wondering will i see a difference in internet perfomance/speed. I use a cable modem that outputs into a cat 5.... (if that helps) i have been ssearching for an answer and have had some difficulties in finding any help. Thanks for any explanation...:D !

I don't think that you'll see any differece as far as your internet connection goes. You'd have to break the 100 barrier, and then the slower one would be limited to 100.

The main difference will be in a network between computers. One could go with the 1000, but the other can only handle 100, so that would be the top transfer speed.

10/100/1000 are the "modes" regarding speed, in Megabits per second (Mbps and NOT MB/s).

Cat 5 is essentially another name for ethernet.

Your internet speeds are mostly likely only a few mbps. You only really *need* gigabit ethernet (1000 megabits=~1 gigabit) if you have a fiberoptic line with enourmous speeds, or you happen to be on a gigabit network and need to transfer huge files fast.

Since you're connecting this directly to the modem, I think it's safe to assume you are NOT on a gigabit network right now. Since chances are you aren't even hitting the 10 number on your current one, cutting 1000 to 100 shouldn't make much difference (and if you are, you're first thing not going to be above 15, and second thing you're extremely lucky :D).

The world isn't likely about to see internet speeds exceeding 100 for quite a while, and MOST computers have 10/100. If in 10 years we're approaching those speeds as standard, and you still happen to have the same computer, you can always add a PCI card. ;)

The world isn't likely about to see internet speeds exceeding 100 for quite a while, and MOST computers have 10/100
actually u need to get that right, the US wont have speeds of a hundred for quite a while. Japan will pretty soon though, cause they are already at 40 so its just right around the corner for them. were still chuggin around at 2meg and 3 meg which sux compared to them over he pond.

Yeah but you havnt seen what the japanesse can do with everyone condensed, hello fiber.

I have fibre in my house, unfortunetly it's just a few meter section for running fibre internet I aqquired

EDIT: Back to the origional, your not even doing 10 meg with your modem. It wont connect at gigabit, you wont notice a difference, infact their wont be one either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom