Computer got wet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in my college days (CSUC Represent!!! );) , a guy pissed all over my brothers audio receiver. The next morning, we took it all a part, let it dry. (went to the store and picked up an bottle of vodka and some grapefruit juice) Put it back together and it worked fine. Drank the bottle and listened to tunes all day, good times....;)

Once my computer becomes out dated im going to take the magnet shit out of a few microwaves, put them together and fry my entire system in one easy blow.....

LOL - Wet PC's of any kind is never a good thing.

About a week ago guy I know brought his laptop to me because it wouldn't work. LOL - Then he tells me, "Yeah, I had it in my Tennis bag and I think that my bottle of water spilled in the bag and got it wet."

He tried several times to turn the Laptop on but couldn't. I took the freakin' pain in the @ss thing apart and sure enough the inside was loaded with water. Not puddles or anything, just drops and condensation. I took all the components out and laid them out on a antistatic mat, then I took a large fan and pointed it directly at the parts. Dry out the whole inside of the case and left the fan blowing on the parts for 2 days. Finally, when I felt that the parts were dry, I put it all back together and crossed my fingers. Pushed the power button and it booted to windows. I left it running for a few hours and had no problems. I haven't talked to him in a few days so I suppose everything is working fine.

He's lucky. Although it is the college's computer... LOL

Ah you don't use that backpanel thing either eh? I always forget to put mine on when I build my PC's. I've gotten mine wet on a few occasions, surprised the damn things not dead. I have a thermaltake shark case and the whole side is exposed, my brother dropped a pepsi near it and some of it splattered on the motherboard, my computer displayed a blue screen with amessage about hardware failure with a bunch of numbers or something. Turned it off for an hour, and it worked. I guess it was just luck or something. I've also had it get wet from going through rain before but it worked fine. I don't think a little water will really hurt it such as splatter or such but if it's submerged forget about it (like a flood)

PILMAN said:
I don't think a little water will really hurt it such as splatter or such but if it's submerged forget about it (like a flood)

errrr.. lol.. hmmm.. That's something to test out man.. ;)

The back panel was pretty much buttoned up, all the PCI covers were (are) in place, they have some perforations in them, but nothing major.. the worst thing is a little tab on the backplate I pushed out when building the thing because I thought the integrated ethernet went through it and they hadn't punched it out. Turns out it was a somewhat generic backplate... Other than that, just the video card connectors and the fan grilles. Anyway, to clear anything up, by "back panel" in my first post I meant the entire case panel, not just the mobo backplate.

Funny story with the stereo... :)

ummmm, ok if you have wet your components then they are most probably stuffed, especially if the water has got on the circuits. No amount of drying will help you, not sure why people are saying dry it and it will be sweet!?!?!?!?!

haha, yeah well i may have very little posts, but i think i know what water on circuits usually leads to. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom