Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, orignally planned to use masking tape to frame out some of the graphical designs going onto the side of the case, but I never considering using it on the control bays until now, but it seems like a fairly obvious idea now that I think about it. =/

edit - all right, I'll include sanding on the checklist as well, I figure it just needs a rather brief sand down to get off all "outer" layer of orignal paint eh? Which would work better, harder or softer sandpaper?

All right, I think that about covers everything, now it's a matter of getting out this week and buying the case and neccesary materials, I shall be sure to post the finished product here later, although it'll probably be a months wait before you see that. :p

Thank you all for your input. :D

I just painted an old case of mine for my new computer build, I used a Krylon black metallic over a couple coats of smooth-sanded auto primer and it came out great. Then I airbrushed on acrylics and dotted on some glow-in-the-dark for some stars (that never glow anyway) and sealed it all with a clear enamel. I have some experience with spraying paint so it all went well for me and the airbrushing lookes especially good. Plan to do a few more after this one. Here's a pic of the case before the clearcoat:

http://img112.echo.cx/img112/5532/none23ad.jpg

one of the other side:

http://img112.echo.cx/img112/6171/none11yk.jpg

You do need primer to hold the paint on, why not go auto primer which will work the best. I was able to get the gritty powder-coat of the original case pretty darn smooth, and it's almost a mirror finish now with the clear coat.

For details you can use any kind of paint and a fine brush. If you use acrylics, if you mess up you can clean it off with Windex and it won't hurt the Krylon underneath!

Good luck with yours!

edit - all right, I'll include sanding on the checklist as well, I figure it just needs a rather brief sand down to get off all "outer" layer of orignal paint eh? Which would work better, harder or softer sandpaper?
Nah you need a 200grit belt sander :p

lol that'd rip that thing to shreds hehe.

Gaara - lol.....you listened and finally went to xtremesystems for water cooling advice and basically just overall a ton of computer knowledge there........for painting, customizing, all that......I suggest you check out pimprig.com

TONS of worklogs and projects of people who have made awesome designs to their cases. I got about 100 posts there :p

For details you can use any kind of paint and a fine brush. If you use acrylics, if you mess up you can clean it off with Windex and it won't hurt the Krylon underneath!
That about wraps up all my questions, I'll probably just end up getting some UV paint and doing all the fine details with that and a fine brush.

Gaara - lol.....you listened and finally went to xtremesystems for water cooling advice and basically just overall a ton of computer knowledge there........for painting, customizing, all that......I suggest you check out pimprig.com

TONS of worklogs and projects of people who have made awesome designs to their cases. I got about 100 posts there
I really, really, really wish they'd just compress everything into one big super forum where you could ask any question and get a hundred expert whatever jumping on your thread in under an hour. :p

I've been around pimprig before, but that's mostly just ooohhing and awwwing the galleries they have their and gathering ideas, but I figure I shall take a leaf out of your book...again. :D

yeah there is a lot of ooooh and ahhhhhhhh 'ing but that's generally noobs impressed by the experts mods. You just gotta go to the mod/paint section, say LISTEN UP HOES, and ask away

LISTEN UP HOES
Mwahahaha, I'm sure that's an excellent way of getting help. :p

I figure I'll wait till I get all the supplies which should be this weekend before I ask question. I also found a shop that carries a bonneville but I didn't wanna pay with debit card so I'll pick it up this week.

My real weak suit lies in modding right now, haven't done much besides the basic stuff so pimprig should be a good learning curve, plus I have a guy who's pretty good at it and has a dremel and all that jazz so he'll be heping out. :)

Gaara,

Just had a thought, and thought I would run it by you.

Talk to any local auto paint shops in yuor area. Explain what you want to do, and let them quote you a price. Heck, some of them might do it for the price of the paint, just for a kick.

Spring for all of it, though... primer, paint (multiple coats), and clear coat (multiple coats). It would take longer that what you'd do at home, but the end result would be really sharp.

Just think about how a case would look with a chameleon finish...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom