Raptors... how noisy? how much longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grego

In Runtime
I've been planning on including 1 or 2 74gb raptors in my future rig. I'm also planning on making the rig on the quiet side, probably just two 120mm fans, water cooling on the cpu, and possible a side intake 80mm fan.

I really like the performance of a raptor, but how noisy are they? My case (ThermalTake Tsunami) has a special mounting system to reduce drive noise, and I'm sure there are similar aftermarket solutions. What are your experiences their noise level?

Also, a longshot here, anyone know if anything is poised to knock these babies off the top of the hill? They've been king for what seems like WAY too long in this industry.

Ive been planning to buy one for a while now but ive been putting it off because of other upgrades. I dont know about any upcoming drives, i havent seen any news on it. As for noise ive heard no complaints.

Cheers-

I'll be honest, mine is a bit noisy. I have considered purchasing one of those noise reducing things but I haven't spent the time researching it enough to know how much it will help.

All in all though, the noise only kicks in during serious hdd reading/writing, it is not continous and hasn't bothered me too much. I definately wouldn't trade it for something else, the performance is worth it.

Just a sugestion here, ive done this and it does work quite well, take the case apart and glue sheets of foam laminated on cardboard to the big flat sections of the case panels.I had some in some parts shipped to me as packing material, I gave it a try and it worked very very well.I just cut them to fit, and glued them on, and "poof", no more fan noise.You can still hear air moving thru the case slightly but you cant hear the fans whirring anymore.Cant hear the HD's running either.The foam and cardboard doesnt have to be very thick, 1/4" to 3/8" is fine, it just absorbs alot of the sound and is thin enough not to get in the way or catch on fire :) Its a cheap and quick fix for case noise.

The Raptor drives are slightly louder than the standard 7200RPM drives that most are used to, but with strong case fans and the appropriate measures taken to dampen noise on the hard drive noise, they will not be noticable.

Hey horndude, do you have any pics of your case to post? i would like to see that. I've been meaning to quiet my case down as well, like everyone else :p, and i've seen a couple foamed up cases so far but lets see yours :cool:

That's reassuring horndude. I'd had an idea brewing in the back of my mind, and now I think I'll definitely go through with it. I found this stuff: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=268-250 back when I was hardcore into car audio. I figure I can take a can of that and give my brand new case a nice coating. Hopefully I'll cover up everything I need to :). I wasn't sure how effective it would be, but now my hopes are high.

No, no pics at moment, and camera is in need of batteries(I hate that).But I will post pics as soon as I can, didnt think anyone would be interested really.

Grego Im not sure that stuff will be all that great, but another choice I know would work would be auto acoustical foam mat, they make it in rolls,cut to fit,peel off back and stick in place.Used in alot of highend stereo's in cars to dampen body panel vibration when they stuff thousands of watts into a little car.Doesnt cost that much either I dont think.Whatever you use it has to be thin enough to not crowd things in the case,but thick enough to actually do something.I just put it on the big side panels,some on the bottom,and a strip across the top,left the front and back alone.

It's never about price, style, or noise, IT"S PERFORMANCE!!!!!!! Always go for performance. That's what I do, also for quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom