Ntfs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhsrcjh

In Runtime
I want to convert 2 drives to NTFS. When I try to convert them, the computer asks for the drives volume label. I went to my computer and properties to get the volume label and no matter how I put the volume label in, it tells me that it is incorrect. How do I get the correct volume label for the drives?

When I had that problem I figured out they were case sensitive on the keyboard when I typed in the Volume Label:eek:

To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt (nt, 2000, XP)

1. Click Start, click Run, and then type: cmd
2. Click OK.
3. In the command prompt window, type: convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

Example:
C:\>convert C: /fs:ntfs

How are you trying to convert it?
What type of operating system are you useing?

what program are you using to convert to NTFS? if you copied and pasted the exact volume label than you have a program error or you have set up the conversion wrong. if it is 3rd party software i would ask in their website forum.

I am using XP to convert it. I went to CMD diskpart and got the volume listed there and also to my computer and the properties of the drive. It would not accept the volume from either one no matter how I typed it in.
I typed everything in just like everyone has told me to and that is the same way that help told me to type it in.
If I could just get the correct volume or just how the volume should be put in, I might get it to work. I tried typing in the complete number all the way through, tried using the number like 9.31 GB, tried just the 9.31, nothing works.
HELP

Can I just copy everything from the 2 drives to my C drive, then format the 2 drives with ntfs, then copy everything back to them? My C drive is 80G and the other 2 is a 20g split into 2 even drives.

Ummmm?? Have you tried going into the Administrative Tools ,, and under Computer Management,, there is DISK ADMINISTRATOR,,

In XP,, you should see the partitions there and have the option to convert the Partition..

check it out..

cheers, :)

dhsrcjh said:
I tried typing in the complete number all the way through, tried using the number like 9.31 GB, tried just the 9.31, nothing works.
HELP

dhsrcjh 9.31 is not a volume label, that is a capacity unless you made the label the same as the capacity. the volume label would be something like BACKUP_DATA or something alphanumeric.

dhsrcjh please right click your drive and select properties. copy and paste everything here so we can tell ou the correct volume label to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom