Reformating and saving important files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Sniper*

Fully Optimized
because of this lop malware im going to reformat my harddrive but i have something i need to save as they are and i dont know if the way im going to do it will save it and when i get put it on it will be just like it was. So i would like to know how to make a save copy that will work fir some of my files one would be a game i have Guildwars i need to save this program becasue it has all my stuff on it or will ijust be able to reinstall it and my accout will be still saved.

I am sorry. I didn't quite understand everything you said. But, I take it that you want to save some files before formatting your drive? And you don't want trojans, spyware, etc. from coming back from your "saved" files?

I think if you "know" which files are which, you should be perfectly fine. Just don't replace any unknown executables or system files from your old stuff. Saving data files should be no problem when you bring them back after a clean install.

Just out of curiosity, did you download all the recommended spy removal programs and try to clean your system? They catch quite a lot. Some of them they don't. The last thing on my system that I couldn't get off, I had to track in manually using various logs and such. That was a *****. Turns out it was impersonating a Windows .dll. :mad:

well yea i did try but i dont want tohave to go thourgh that. But what i need to know is will i be able to put the files im saving back with no problem.

Depends on your files man. As I said, if you just copy a file that has something to do with a spyware, that "will" be a problem. But, if you just copy folders that are uncommon (but you know what they are) like Guild Wars, it should be ok. It's not like someone was targetting your computer specifically. They create this stuff for the lowest denominator.

So yeah. I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are u will cut down quite a lot by reinstalling. There are no gaurantees. But, I think it'll be ok.

Personally, this is what I do:

1) Download/install anti-spy ware, virus programs update info files and try to clean my system
2) Remove stuff manually that wasn't cleaned automatically
3) If stuff still persists, reinstall (have never done this yet - never had the need)
4) Check if there are spyware present using a traffic logger

yea im just trying to save my accout on guildwars but im thinking if i reinsstall it will be gone. My accout with them i hope not.

If your account is online, then it will still be there. I can log into my STEAM account for Counter Strike on any computer that has Steam installed on it, and that also applies to Diablo II. I haven't gotten too many recent games, but I'm sure your account will be just fine. I agree with Chan, just save the files you want to save. Download programs such as Ad-Aware SE which is free, and get the trial version of SpySweeper by Webroot, install new definations and sweep your computer. This almost completely eliminates all the spyware in your computer. There are many programs out there like SpyStormer or SpyBot: Search and Destory, they are not as effective as these two. There is an online virus scanner that is updated daily and many of my friends, employed by tech companies throughout the company (I know them personally, not online buddies) in Texas and Virginia, use this program. I gotta get the link, I'll post it in just a second

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom