Deploying Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

star_topology

In Runtime
Woo! I got a roaming profile to work!

For those that have been helping me, you know I've been wracking my brain for the past 2-3 weeks trying to get this and Group Policy to work. Finally, I have a firm grasp on it, and I have all summer to perfect it before we implement it next school year.

Next question: Deploying software. How does that work? If I create all of my roaming profiles from a computer that has all the necessary software, will that take care of it?

If not, can someone explain how Group Policy does it?

Sorry about not knowing much about this network problem.. But you're talking about gpedit.msc?

To deploy software it has to be in a .msi format and then on the computer that is the domain controller run gpedit.msc and then computer config and software/right click and chose new package.

I have to research it at home I will post it later.I run VPC with 2 2k3 servers and 3 XP pro's for practice.I am at work now and stuck only with XP pro and 2000 pro.

Software deployment is very cool, but also very network intensive. If you want to deploy with GP or from AD, your looking at longer login times and slower logoff times. The process it pretty brutal to be honest, although does offer some very cool benifits if you are willing to forego the longer time periods.
We use SMS2003 for this stuff as it's the best inbetween option. The programs are installed permachine though, not per user. So if your looking for a per user thing, then AD is the way to go.
Basically it works by advertising the application. This means that the shortcuts get placed there, and when you go to use it, it installs the app for you.

GP is not a good way to install it. It's huge and takes a long time if you want to push it out that way....
We deployed it in 3 stages across 2000 workstations and then ran the installs locally through a script. You risk the chance of taking down the whole network if you do that with GP.
A better way is to advertise the individual apps to the profiles so that if they want one, they can run the shortcut, have it install and then go on their merry way. Don't forget, you have to tranform the install so that you don't have to provide the install code to the users.
Office resource kit has the tools to do all that...

Good luck

Ok, so I'm ruling out Deployment via Group Policy.
If you go back to my first post:

"If I create all of my roaming profiles from a computer that has all the necessary software, will that take care of it?"

Is that even possible?

The computers I'm going to be using already have the software on it, so the roaming profiles will be able to use the locally-stored software, right?

BTW, one more post and you'll be 1337. :p

BTW, one more post and you'll be 1337.
already there... :)

Yes they will. But this depends on how the software is installed. Software installation is a really complex technology of it's own with the implimentation of MSI. Before that, it was pretty much file copies and shortcut creations. Now it's registered files and shortcuts. Admin accounts and User accounts, Advertised installs, per Machine and Per user installs. It's Not as simple as it once was.
If the software is installed per machine then any user can use it. If it's installed Per user, only the user that ran the install can use it (although it's possible to correct that), and if it's advertised, it's not installed until you launch the program. This all depends on how you configure the install as well as how the installer wrote the install program.
As to the roaming profile, you need to advertise the applications to the accounts. The computer configuration isn't captured with the Roaming profile. Most apps will install to all users, not current user, so that isn't captured in the roaming profile. If you advertise an application (the same program as the installed one) to a computer that already has it, nothing happens. If on the other hand you do it to a machine that doesn't have it, you will get a notification of new progams available from the start menu. When you run the program, it installs.
Besides, you don't want program installing from a roaming profile. That is wasted server space and time...

"If you advertise an application (the same program as the installed one) to a computer that already has it, nothing happens. If on the other hand you do it to a machine that doesn't have it, you will get a notification of new progams available from the start menu. When you run the program, it installs."

I was with you up until there. I'll be in the actual environment today, so I can fool around with it a bit, but do you have any links that explain "advertising" step-by-step?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom