Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaara

Fully Optimized
What would be the best paint to use on an aluminum/steel case? I've previously just used spray paint (don't ask why I have it ;)) but it's pretty sloppy and I'm wondering what the best solution is.

Is using a coloured marker all right as well for more precise stuff?

wow heck no on the coloreed marker.... Just use spraypaint just make sure you sand the case down then use primer then paint and use many coats for best finish i painted a case like that and it came out awesome. just take the time to do it right

Sand it smooth, prime it, and use very light coats of spray paint.... Just dont get the paint on any plastic or it might eat it up... I learned that the hard way on a xbox case....

i spraypainted my plastic front bezel and it hasnt done anything to it and ut diesnt flake or chip. stays on and doesnt eat the plastic maybe diff types of paint i used the stuff thats name i cant remember rite now and im too lazy to find the can but ita just normal spraypaint that i got at home depot for like 4 bucks a can

Yeah as long as you sand it real good, primer it (I use 2-3 light coats of primer to make sure I don't miss anything), and use many light layers of paint like charles said. You can use a sealer or a clear gloss to give it whatever kind of finish you want. Just remember; it's a lot easier to add paint than it is to remove it. Also, go slow.

BTW, Krylon now makes a spray paint specifically for plastics now. I think it's suppose to bond to the plastic better or something. I have now idea how much it is though or where to get it.

If i was you, i wouldent sand it down any. I would first clean it. Then make sure your in a room thats around 70-72 degrees celcius, with absolutely no wind. First spray a thin layer, let this dry. Then bust out the primer. Spray it twice as thick as the first. As you already know, primer gives the paint something to hold itself on. Which it also makes paint harder. After the primer is dryed, apply your paint again thickly. You can add another thin layer, i wouldent though. Once thats dryed, finish it with a thin layer of clear coat.

LOL 70-72 C :p damn... you can breathe in that heat? i wonder what the average melting point of a human is :)

All right, I think I've got it all figured out:

Clean > Light Layer > Primer > Main Layer > Finish

I'm just wondering if there's any alternative to spray paint for doing more detailed work, for example, doing little details on a fan controller.

I've previously just used spray paint (don't ask why I have it )
Huffer! :p

Meh I've never had problems with just throwin spraypaint on it and bam, that's it :D

But yeah the more 'professional' way is primer>paint>final coat, glass whatever you want.

I'm just wondering if there's any alternative to spray paint for doing more detailed work, for example, doing little details on a fan controller.
Take the faceplate off if you can, use masking tape to mask off parts you don't want painted and blast it!

Codeine said:
If i was you, i wouldent sand it down any.

If you don't sand it you have a big chance of the paint just flaking off,Do a light sanding to get the imperfection's out of the original paint,Next do a light coat or 2 of primer than give that a light sanding too,So you can get a nice smooth surface to lay your paint on,Like everyone else said just do light coat's,it's alot better to do 5 light coat's than to do 1 or 2 heavy coat's of paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom